Phillips recall on CPAP machines

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/sleep-apnea.jpg

Patients Sleep apnea

5 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Why is it taking so long with Phillips either fixing or replacing the recalled machines that are linked to cancer. This is truly pathetic the information that is being presented to the people who have the recalled machines.

Beginning of the discussion - 8/27/21

• Community manager
Posted on

Hello @Bsavidge‍, thank you for opening this discussion! Do you have one of the recalled machines? Has your doctor recommended that you stop using it while Philips works on repairing or replacing it? Let me tag some other members who may be interested in this.

For anyone who would like more information about the recall, including possible steps to take, you can consult the FDA communication page here: Certain Philips Respironics Ventilators, BiPAP, and CPAP Machines Recalled Due to Potential Health Risks: FDA Safety Communication

Hi everyone, are you aware of the recall on certain Philips CPAP and BiPAP devices and ventilators? Is your device included in the recall? Have you been in touch with your doctor about it? If so, what does he/she say? Have you been in touch with Philips?
@jqlyons@mlleelise@Amostayar@ggudanowski@NoFilter62@Momov3burros@Full1234@Divegal56@nu2rasln@Nisey69@Lorikat81@Tilly77@CharlotteB@Itwerks@ncbonner@RalphB@bturcotte@Ronda01@PaulC53‍ 

Take care,
Courtney

Posted on

Hello Courtney,

It is a mess from Phillips. They said it could take a year and they are still waiting for FDA approval. This is a joke. Those of us with sleep apnea can not wait for a year to either have the current machine replaced or fixed. This is ridiculous.  I have been in touch with my Dr. and the advice was if the machine does not smell or you do not see debris particles in the water container then we should keep using it. This is not a fix for this issue.

Bob

• Community manager
Posted on

@Bsavidge Oh gosh, that isn't a fix at all! With how serious sleep apnea can be, you'd hope that they would be more proactive in protecting and helping consumers.

For those of you who have Philips devices, here is a link to the Philips site where you can register your device with them and be put on a waitlist for a replacement: Philips Recall Registration. They also have a phone number you can call here: 877-907-7508.

Posted on

Yes. I use a Phillips.   Said up to.a year.

My doctor could not say continue to use.  I decided to continue.   Maybe not the best  

Diane 

Posted on

My husband and I both use a clap. He because he stops breathing frequently. I use it because while I quit breathing it’s scary because my O2 levels go way down. I can smell hot wires bad enough that I was getting up and checking the walls around plug ins and switches and feeling for warm power cords. Haven’t smelled it since I quit using it. Our dr and Phillips said we had to make our own decision. 

Most commented discussions