Traveling with sleep apnea: Any tips?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/sleep-apnea.jpg

Patients Sleep apnea

9 replies

Topic of the discussion

• Community manager
Posted on

Hello everyone,

I hope you're doing well. emoticon cute

As spring is in full swing and we creep our way towards summer, I thought I would open this discussion to talk about traveling with sleep apnea!

Traveling when you have sleep apnea can require some planning or extra packing.

What are your tips for traveling with sleep apnea? Are there any must-haves to bring with you? Any routines or habits to follow when sleeping on the road?
@trumpet1@GodIsGreat@Sassygirl1972@wilkiet@Grands1234@Grambabs@Samiam6378@Cklyons@hensley088@bronzfonz@SleeplessinElyria@Jeanma@jmshap48@Cherie#1@Dave123@1sleepless@Grelow@Chesterlizzy@Chachawatusi‍ 

Feel free to share your tips and advice with us here!

Take care,
Courtney

Beginning of the discussion - 5/13/21

Posted on

I'm going on a 10-day African safari in October. Because of the several small-plane flights between camps, we are limited to bringing a total of 33 lbs. of luggage. I'm aware of mini-CPAPS for sale, but for home use and most travel I'm happy with my full-size machine, Does anyone know if it's possible to rent mini-CPAPS for a couple of weeks?

Posted on

ask your provider. we camp and they were able to provide a battery operated system for me. will access to electricity be an issue?

Posted on

How do folks work the distilled water when traveling?  Will be going for 10 days this fall.  Trying to get my ducks in a row early.

Posted on

@Beth22 My provider (Kaiser) won't offer anything other than my full-size one (at least that doesn't cost me anything). 

Posted on

See my provider for supplies Thursday (also the vet for rattlesnake shots for the dogs).  Will ask questions and relay answers then.  Until then, no rattlesnakes!

Posted on

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone, but when I do air travel I always put a medical equipment tag that I got on Amazon to put on my CPAP. I always bring mine on with me in case my bag gets lots and with the ADA it's not included as a carry-on bag. I also always bring a clear plastic bag with me to put it in when it goes through security. As for the water, when I travel I just use bottled water because it's too much of a hassle to deal with distilled.

Posted on

When I traveled with my cpap machine.  I took delta. Your able to carry it on the plane it is a medical device you need. Also I told the flight attendant . She offered to sit me by a seat with a plug to plug it in. When you make the reservation put that in there if doing it online so they know.  Just double check at the airport.

Posted on

I'm not concerned about airline travel with the CPAP. I've done that before with my current unit with no problem. It's the 33 lb. weight limit on the African safari itself that is the issue. I also don't need to carry distilled water as I found that using the CPAP's water reservoir really didn't cause any difference in my comfort level. I'm basically just trying to get advice on possible sources of mini-CPAPs to rent for a couple of weeks. 

• Community manager
Posted on

Hello everyone,

How are you doing? Have you seen our latest article? In it we share some helpful hints for traveling with your CPAP: Sleep apnea and travel: How to travel with your CPAP device?

Have you ever traveled with your CPAP? Is there anything you made sure to bring? 
@roadrunr61@Miriam@Raz1014@Wentyg6000@Linda1@Alaskahusky@wander@Panda54@Jcbreh@Melissakubiszewski@Elmslady@BEACHEY911@Joe51261@Thecindita@Mshallop@Redhorse96@Trarn21@MinniePooh‍ 

Feel free to share any tips here!

Take care,
Courtney

Most commented discussions