What is the difference between BiPAP and CPAP?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/sleep-apnea.jpg

Patients Sleep apnea

7 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Hi, I have COPD and severe emphysema and sleep apnea, so I'm on oxygen 24 hours a day. I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between the two devices I use (NIV and CPAP)?

Beginning of the discussion - 9/26/20

Posted on

What is niv

Posted on

@breathe_easy what is niv

Posted on

@Spiderswebs399 I think it's also called BiPAP

Posted on

What's a bipap

• Community manager
Posted on

@breathe_easy Hi breath-easy, thank you for opening this discussion. For those who may not already know, NIV (Non-Invasive Ventilation) is also sometimes referred to as "BiPAP". Let me tag a few other members who may be familiar with the difference between the two.

Hello members, how are you today? emoticon cute

Do you uses a CPAP or BiPAP (NIV) device? Do you know what the difference is between the two? Do you prefer one over the other?
@Dllegg@Boom56@Abc.com@Cecily@TexasBear@gangel@crays68@EdgarJay@Demp4000@parexcell3@kingster@Joebryanjr@NonnieB@DVallas@benadam@Vickyd@ChrissyBob26@Jaadair2‍ 

Feel free to share here!

Take care,
Courtney

Posted on

I also use bipap. Bipap uses two different pressure settings - a higher one during inspiration, and a lower one during exhalation, making it easier to exhale. CPap uses the same pressure setting during both phases of respiration.

Posted on

@Colleen4300 Thank you for giving us that great explanation Colleen. I'd heard there was a difference but I wasn't sure what it was. Sorry if this is a basic question, but is there a reason why one would be prescribed over the other? It seems like most people are prescribed CPAP, right? ????

Most commented discussions