/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and NASH

6 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on

Liver biopsy is usually necessary to detect liver inflammation secondary to NAFLD or NASH.

Did you have to undergo liver biopsy? How did you prepare for the procedure? Any tips/advice?

How was the procedure? Any side-effects / consequences?

What was the result and how was it interpreted by your doctor?

How was the care and discussion with the medical team?

Come share your experiences, stories, and advice!

Beginning of the discussion - 1/24/19

NAFLD / NASH: Liver biopsy experience
Member Carenity
Posted on

I had my liver biopsy done in 2015 and the procedure itself sucked! My BP dropped from the procedure and the clinic actually had to send me to the hospital overnight!

Member Carenity
Posted on

Just got my biopsy results back today...still don't understand anything. I accidentally stumbled onto the diagnosis when I went in for a ultrasound and then a CT scan for my gallbladder surgery when they saw it they ordered a biopsy to be done while I had my gallbladder removed...got the results but no explanation what so ever....so I guess I'll do my own research until I can go to my regular doctor and hopefully he will give me some information

Member Carenity
Posted on

Excatly the same for me . Blushing _missourri

Ultrasound of gall bladder , found fatty liver disease. Im still in the dark on this . Also found 2 blockages in my left ventricular ...

Member Carenity
Posted on

I have taken three biopsy on my liver. One to diagnosis my NASH and two clinical research studies. 

Member Carenity
Posted on

I was diagnosed with NASH. I had to have the biopsy and the results were not good. They did a scan and I have severe scarring on the outside of the liver. At this point there's nothing to do other than suffer. My doctor is good and he makes sure i am taken care of. I always hurt on that side. Uuugghh

Member Carenity
Posted on

Mayo clinic is accepting people for an observational research study on NASH. I met last week with the coordinator and she said I was 36th of the 150 people they need. They will pay for blood tests, MRE (MRI elastogram) and a biopsy along with $50 stipend and parking passes for your clinic visits. ( I had an MRE in 2014 elsewhere and it showed no fibrosis, but then last fall had a fibroscan elsewhere that showed stage 3 fibrosis. Liver enzymes always within normal/high-normal range. So I really want to get to the bottom of it.) I'm a little scared about the biopsy to be scheduled after MRE in early March. The MRE sucks because it's the skinny MRI tube but if I wear a sleep mask before going in I hope I won't freak. at Mayo was so much better - larger tube and they were prepared with an eye covering -- plus the MRE showed less than stage 1 fibrosis so I'm a much happier camper.  WAAAAY nicer digs instead of the radiologist in the Twin Cities that has junk stacked in the corner of the MRI room and is dark and foreboding and the tube very tiny. The biopsy is on Friday along with heart tests -- Mayo as they are known for, want to cover all bases and mentioned that heart issues may be causing or contributing to fatty liver -- anyone else been told this?