Wearing a face mask with COPD: How do you cope with it?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/copd.jpg

Patients COPD

4 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Hello everyone, 

How are you today? emoticon cute

I thought I would open this discussion to talk about masks.

It can be difficult to adjust to wearing a mask when going out, especially for those with respiratory conditions like COPD.
Do you find it difficult to wear a mask? Does it aggravate or irritate your COPD? What do you do? Do you have any tips or techniques to make it more comfortable? Has your doctor or respiratory therapist given you any advice? 
@Slrdmr1@randerson801@Ks1962@byumimi@lightening1952@MrSlyde@Msmonica43@Cherann61@Annleelee@CorinneButler@thelma69@bethstitt@Lauraboy62@hras240@Keally@roconnor0768@Hera0301‍ 

Feel free to share your experiences and advice here!

Take care,
Courtney

Beginning of the discussion - 9/17/20

Posted on

@Courtney_J It's been hard for me. I already struggle with breathlessness, but with the mask at first it was even worse. My doctor recommended "practicing" wearing it at home where I'm comfortable and that did help. I at least don't have that feeling of panic when I put it on. I also made sure to get one that's moisture-wicking, because once it gets a bit wet from my breath it makes it even worse. I try to my best to wear it and make my trips out of the house and things quick so I can keep it on and not have issues.

Posted on

I try not to go out to where I have to use s make.   When I use a mask I use the kind the dr office gives us. Not the fancy kind everyone wears.  They are to heavy and thick.   I can bearly breath with any make on.  I think when I go to see the dr we should not have to wear a mask. With stage 4 Copd. It’s just wrong.

Posted on

I manage wearing a mask when I have to. No, I don’t like it, but I believe if everyone would wear one it would help.  I only go out when I have to.  Mostly, I’m home.

Posted on

After working in a hospital for 36 years we had to be specially FITTED for a face mask or we were told it would not be useful! Your thoughts on that PLEASE!-PAUL