Do you suffer from Emphysema or Asthma, in addition to COPD?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/copd.jpg

Patients COPD

7 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on

Do you suffer from emphysema or asthma, in addition to COPD

I look forward to your testimony and discussion.

Beginning of the discussion - 4/17/18

Member Carenity
Posted on

Thank you for the add. I have stage 4 emphysema my lung function is at 29 percent. I recently was told by a transplant surgeon that at 59 yrs old that I’m not a candidate for transplant n to get my affairs in order. That was a kick in the face. I want to be able to move and walk more then 10 ft without being winded. I’m on 2 liters of 02. And so many inhalers it’s unreali would appreciate any ideas. 

Member Carenity
Posted on

Don’t get discouraged.  My husband was told 15 years ago that he was stage 4 plus had 4 blocked arteries and they couldn’t operate because of the copd.  He is still going and 82 years old.  He did the therapy for copd and has always been on 2 liters of oxygen.  He does very little the last couple of years but when he was first diagnosed he kept traveling by car and kept deer hunting in deer season for about 10 years.  If you can’t go to therapy look up the breathing exercises on the computer and don’t give up until you have to.  Good luck

Member Carenity
Posted on

Bob please do not get discouraged. Thank you for posting. I am diagnosed with asthma as a child and stupidly, I smoked, and  now have what is called overlap syndrome. It is unfortunate, but I am doing my best to exercise and be healthy now and do what I can.

Member Carenity
Posted on

Wow thank you both so much. My lung Dr.has pretty much written me off. I asked him what my prognosis is n his response was maybe on the outside 4 years. I kind of feel like I’m just being used for a money pit and have for the last 14 years. They push every test they can and when I say no more they get mad but not one of them has offered lung rehab. This one want to keep pushing sleep study which I tried once with him. But he won’t. Listen to me when I try to tell him I sleep about 2 hours then I’m awake due to severe r/a & osteoarthritis. But he would rather try to charge me 265.00 knowing I can’t complete it. So I that you for the encouragement. I will keep on fighting this battle

Posted on

Hello, @Hidden username‍ welcome to Carenity! I encourage you as well and while I do not have COPD, I have had over 10 surgeries because of failed diagnosis from doctors. Did you ever reach out for second opinions or even third?

Member Carenity
Posted on

Yeah I’ve had a total of 5 second opinions lol

Posted on

That is good. Glad you did that! All I can say is don't give up! I know we are different situations, but my arm was completely dangling for 2 years... 9/10 pain and eventually found a doctor that did the first repair in the country and it worked a great deal.  Feel free to reach out  here for support