Logo Carenity
Logo Carenity
Join now! Log in
flag us
flag fr flag en flag es flag de flag it
Home

Forums

Latest discussions
General discussions
See all - Forum index from A to Z

Medications

Medications fact sheet
See all - Medication index from A to Z

Surveys

Ongoing surveys
The results of the surveys

Magazine

Our featured pieces
News
Testimonials
Nutrition
Advice
Procedures & paperwork

Conditions

Fact sheets
See all - Disease index from A to Z

About

About us
Why share your data?
The Carenity team
The ambassadors
Partner associations
Contributors
The Science and Ethics Committee
Our scientific publications
Our commitments
Certifications and awards
Carenity in the news
Editorial policy
Code of conduct and privacy policy
Legal notice
Terms of use
Cookie management
Contact
Carenity for professionals

Join now! Log in
  • Forums

    • Latest discussions
    • General discussions
    • See all - Forum index from A to Z
  • Medications

    • Medications fact sheet
    • See all - Medication index from A to Z
  • Surveys

    • Ongoing surveys
    • The results of the surveys
  • Magazine

    • Our featured pieces
    • News
    • Testimonials
    • Nutrition
    • Advice
    • Procedures & paperwork
  • Conditions

    • Fact sheets
    • See all - Disease index from A to Z
  • Home
  • Forums
  • General forums
  • Living with COPD
  • Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do?
 Back
Living with COPD

Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do?

  •  142 views
  •  3 times supported
  •  12 comments

avatar mr1964

mr1964

06/03/2020 at 2:26 PM

Good advisor

avatar mr1964

mr1964

Last activity on 07/06/2021 at 9:50 PM

Joined in 2018


16 comments posted | 7 in the Living with COPD group

1 of their responses was helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. Recently I've been having trouble with constant mucus and a feeling of discomfort in the throat. Does anyone else have this? Do you have any good remedies?

Thanks.

Follow

Other groups...

Carenity News
Feedback for Carenity
Fun and games
General Topics
Good to know
Health and Medical News
How to use Carenity
Let's talk about COVID-19
Life beyond illness
The Holiday Season
Youth patients with chronic conditions

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

All comments

Go to the last comment

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager
06/03/2020 at 2:31 PM

Good advisor

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager

Last activity on 08/08/2022 at 11:09 AM

Joined in 2020


1,334 comments posted | 30 in the Living with COPD group

6 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Explorer

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@mr1964 Hello mr1964, thank you for starting this discussion. Let me tag some members who may not have seen this yet.

Hello members, I hope you're doing well! Have you also experienced throat discomfort and mucus with your COPD? What do you do to soothe it? Do you take any medications or non-medicinal treatments to relieve it? If so, which ones? Feel free to share your experience with us here!

@Keally‍ @Kwarpenburg‍ @Shanaynay‍ @afalco46‍ @mfcmom‍ @PinkCarnation24‍ @roconnor0768‍ @Hera0301‍ @Kelley2020‍ @RobinRenee‍ @Sodbuster‍ @PatriciaSantiago‍ @Mommastruggling‍ @CUMMINGS‍ @Smokie58‍ 

Take care,
Courtney

See the signature

Courtney_J, Community Manager, Carenity US


Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-copd/mucus-and-discomfort-in-the-throat-what-can-i-2013 2020-06-03 14:31:19
avatar exit

Unregistered member

06/03/2020 at 2:57 PM

Yes I have that a lot I drink some coffee and it helps me


Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-copd/mucus-and-discomfort-in-the-throat-what-can-i-2013 2020-06-03 14:57:41

avatar Maynerd

Maynerd

06/03/2020 at 10:47 PM

avatar Maynerd

Maynerd

Last activity on 09/30/2024 at 4:44 AM

Joined in 2020


16 comments posted | 10 in the Living with COPD group

2 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Committed

  • Explorer

  • Evaluator


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

I try to drink lots of water or tea all day it's make the mucus come up and out easier for me! Listerine is great since I have an inhaler  to rinse and swish with! Best wishes.. 

See the signature

Kim R Oberlie


Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-copd/mucus-and-discomfort-in-the-throat-what-can-i-2013 2020-06-03 22:47:30

avatar giggles

giggles

06/25/2020 at 5:29 PM

avatar giggles

giggles

Last activity on 01/16/2022 at 9:54 PM

Joined in 2018


7 comments posted | 2 in the Living with COPD group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Committed

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

HI,

I do have some mucus with my copd, I also have asthma. so during the  winter i have more mucus. is this normal?


Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-copd/mucus-and-discomfort-in-the-throat-what-can-i-2013 2020-06-25 17:29:19

avatar chronicpain!

chronicpain!

06/03/2021 at 5:36 PM

avatar chronicpain!

chronicpain!

Last activity on 06/03/2021 at 5:09 PM

Joined in 2018


4 comments posted | 4 in the Living with COPD group


Rewards

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

I constantly feel like I'm choking from all the mucus in my throat. Would a decongestant help do you think or would it just make it worse?


Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-copd/mucus-and-discomfort-in-the-throat-what-can-i-2013 2021-06-03 17:36:16

avatar Magdamaria2

Magdamaria2

08/15/2021 at 12:37 AM

Good advisor

avatar Magdamaria2

Magdamaria2

Last activity on 05/29/2025 at 6:13 AM

Joined in 2020


41 comments posted | 2 in the Living with COPD group

3 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Committed

  • Explorer

  • Friend

  • Newsfeeder


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

I drink pineapple juice it helps, and dr prescibed mucinex, I also bout TILCARE MUCUS REMOVAL AND LUNG EXPANSION DEVICE, You can find on ebay or amazon. And don't be afraid to spit it out! I keep a plastic cup near my bed to spit up. ( a red one! don't want to see the mucus). hope this helps. 

See the signature

"Save A life" Adopt A Pet" MagdaMaria2 aka Paws_4_Cause


Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-copd/mucus-and-discomfort-in-the-throat-what-can-i-2013 2021-08-15 00:37:33

avatar Gordon

Gordon

08/30/2021 at 7:24 PM

Good advisor

avatar Gordon

Gordon

Last activity on 09/17/2026 at 5:08 PM

Joined in 2018


80 comments posted | 21 in the Living with COPD group

10 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Committed

  • Explorer

  • Evaluator


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

After three major sinus infections spurned on by the defective / recalled Philips Bi-PAP machine use, I had sinus surgery last May to clear the upper right sinus area.  For a month after the surgery, I had severe and painful bronchitis with the Pleurisy pains in the chest.  Now, over three months after the surgery,  I also have the constant mucous in the upper bronchial airways that does not go away with the traditional expectorants like Mucinex.

Among my numerous meds that I take, I have the new Breztri Aerosphere inhaler for morning and night use.  Replaced the Trelegy Ellipta due to cost when I received free meds assistance from Breztri.  I don't know if the Breztri makes the mucous worse or if it has no affect on it.  

What I have found that works to loosen up the mucous in order to expel it has been the Ventolin Albuterol rescue inhalers.  Having stocked up on that script I am able to take a shot or two, 3 or 4 times a day to clear out the throat.  

 

See the signature

Gordon Harvey


Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-copd/mucus-and-discomfort-in-the-throat-what-can-i-2013 2021-08-30 19:24:33

avatar 12elbert

12elbert

04/22/2022 at 3:37 AM

avatar 12elbert

12elbert

Last activity on 10/18/2025 at 12:50 AM

Joined in 2021


1 comment posted | 1 in the Living with COPD group


Rewards

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

I have bad problems with the mucus in my chest im always trying to get it broke loose but i bought a device called the breather and the air physio i started using them and it will break it loose for awhile it helps with your breathing too i don't really think there is anything that helps permanently if it is i don't know what it is does anybody have any other opinions on this


Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-copd/mucus-and-discomfort-in-the-throat-what-can-i-2013 2022-04-22 03:37:51

avatar Gordon

Gordon

04/22/2022 at 5:31 PM

Good advisor

avatar Gordon

Gordon

Last activity on 09/17/2026 at 5:08 PM

Joined in 2018


80 comments posted | 21 in the Living with COPD group

10 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Committed

  • Explorer

  • Evaluator


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

After my last major exacerbation with the COPD and the short runs of Prednisone, my Pulmonologist prescribed a nebulizer with Albuterol for me. Three months later and still having major mucus issues in the chest/larynx, the Pulmonologist gave me samples of Ipratropium Bromide with Albuterol for the nebulizer. This really helped with the congestion and I now take it with the nebulizer 3 to 4 times per day. Still some congestion, mainly in the mornings, but a major improvement for me.


See the signature

Gordon Harvey


Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-copd/mucus-and-discomfort-in-the-throat-what-can-i-2013 2022-04-22 17:31:39

avatar Maynerd

Maynerd

05/02/2022 at 6:44 PM

avatar Maynerd

Maynerd

Last activity on 09/30/2024 at 4:44 AM

Joined in 2020


16 comments posted | 10 in the Living with COPD group

2 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Committed

  • Explorer

  • Evaluator


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@12elbert Hello! I have a physio air also it seems to help me with mucus and taking deeper breaths too! The biggest help is when I drink lots of water because it thins the mucus which makes it easier to breath. Best wishes to you!

See the signature

Kim R Oberlie


Mucus and discomfort in the throat: What can I do? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-copd/mucus-and-discomfort-in-the-throat-what-can-i-2013 2022-05-02 18:44:48
  • 1
  • 2

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

Articles to discover...

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

09/24/2026 | News

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

Caregiver burnout: When caring for someone else leaves no room for yourself

09/07/2026 | Advice

Caregiver burnout: When caring for someone else leaves no room for yourself

Why does physical activity have a positive effect on mental health?

08/29/2026 | News

Why does physical activity have a positive effect on mental health?

Weight gain without eating more: What's really going on?

08/22/2026 | News

Weight gain without eating more: What's really going on?

Cigarettes VS e-cigarettes: an update on the consumption and pitfalls to avoid

02/20/2019 | Advice

Cigarettes VS e-cigarettes: an update on the consumption and pitfalls to avoid

Telemedicine: Remote examinations and operations are here!

03/11/2019 | News

Telemedicine: Remote examinations and operations are here!

Chronic fatigue: patients' experiences and solutions

04/15/2019 | Advice

Chronic fatigue: patients' experiences and solutions

Love life in the face of illness: how to cope?

02/14/2019 | Advice

Love life in the face of illness: how to cope?

icon cross

Does this topic interest you?

Join the 500 000 patients registered on our platform, get information on your condition or on that of your family member, and discuss it with the community

Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now!

It’s free and confidential

Subscribe

You wish to be notified of new comments

 

You have been subscribed

Join now! Log in

About

  • About us
  • Why share your data?
  • The Carenity team
  • The ambassadors
  • Partner associations
  • Contributors
  • The Science and Ethics Committee
  • Our scientific publications
  • Our commitments
  • Certifications and awards
  • Carenity in the news
  • Editorial policy
  • Code of conduct
  • Legal notice
  • Terms of use
  • Cookie management
  • Contact
  • Carenity for professionals

Quick access

  • Health magazine
  • Search a forum
  • Learn about a condition
  • See medication reviews
  • List of forums (A-Z)
  • List of condition info sheets (A-Z)
  • List of medication fact sheets (A-Z)
  • Language flag fr flag en flag de flag es flag it

The www.carenity.us website does not constitute or replace professional medical advice.