https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/breast-cancer.jpg

Patients Breast cancer

What was your age and symptoms initially experienced at onset?
Member Carenity
Posted on

I went to 4 doctors that happened to be men during a year. I mentioned that one of my breasts had become much larger than the other. The response from all of them was that often women have different-sized breasts. I said that mine had not. They said not to worry about it.

On my annual Gynecological exam with a woman doctor, she sent me immediately for a mammogram where I found out I had breast cancer.

I had a lumpectomy (stage 2) with Internal Radiation, Chemo, and am on meds for 5-10 years. I wish I would have known a year earlier.

Member Carenity
Posted on

Two years ago, my right nipple started bleeding. I am a very active person with an active job so I thought I had irritated it. I put a bandaid on it and just kept on moving. In retrospect, I realize I knew something was wrong but didn’t want to admit it. I just kept changing the bandaid. Even when it started itching, I kept denying that anything serious was going on. I was changing the bandage every day by now. Finally, on a visit to my dr on another matter, I casually mentioned my breast was itchy and bleeding. She looked at it and sent me for a mammogram. I was very fortunate because the mammography technician realized I needed a 3D  and not a regular one. Then the dr on duty at the imaging center had me get an ultrasound. Turns out that there were other things going on in that breast.  I had two biopsies, one on the nipple and one in the breast. It was Paget’s disease of the breast. I had a bilateral mastectomy two months later. I was 60 years old at the time. My advice is to always listen to your inner voice. You know your body best and denying and hoping something is wrong will not make it go away.

Member Carenity
Posted on

I found a lump in my left breast a week after a mammogram. . I had cysts almost every time I had a mammogram but I never could feel them even after I knew where they were. I always had to have another test and they were never anything and just cost more to have a test I didn't need. I talked to my Dr. and told him about the lump and he pretty much said it was probably just a cyst. A year later the lump made me feel it was cancer and I went in and they asked if a had any concerns and I told them about the lump I had for a year & my Drs. reaction. They sent me on to a bigger hospital and I had a 3D mammogram and a ultrasound and then a biopsy. I had invasive ductal and invasive lobular carcinoma in my left breast. I was 60. I already knew I wasn't going to have chemo or radiation and planned to go natural to try and beat it and no oncologists want anything to do with me. 3 of them saw me once and after telling me if I chose not to do their recommendation I would die. I told them we are all going to and if it's my time I would but I wasn't going to allow them to put an expiation date on me. They suggested I see a psychologist because I must be suicidal. I had known for years I wasn't going to do chemo or radiation if I ever got cancer, and I was no stranger to cancer. I lost my 39 yr old sister to ovarian cancer and spent every hospital stay with her. On my moms side their were 8 in her family and every family member had someone or more with different types of cancer, die. they ranged in age from 29-80. Ovarian, liver, lymphoma, throat, brain, breast, stomach, melanoma(not fatal), and lung. I don't know all the medical names for them. I don't regret my choice. I feel good, and if it's my time, I will be alright with that too.

Member Carenity
Posted on

Before bc, I was in China with my 2 sister in laws, we were having a massage. The masseuse asked if we wanted our breasts massage. I was horrified, but then thought I would never get a chance to try that. She told me I needed to see a doctor cause she felt something. Came home, took 6 months to get a mamogram. Turned out it was lobular. We dont need mamograms just well trained chinese masseuses. And I should have been more agressive in insisting on a mamogram or went to an outside hmo provider.  American cancer society says stage 1 has an almost 100% of being cured. I have to stop reading these blogs cause it is giving me more stress than I need. I think I am addicted to it. I am giving myself a gift for Christmas. Dont resd this stuff and donate the bresst cancer books to the support group. Anyone else agree? Happy Christmas, hanukkah, kwanzaa and holidays. God Bless us all. Amen

Member Carenity
Posted on

What are your biggest concerns now? Do you have a Dr. you feel comfortable? Are you seeing an oncologist? There are a lot of good articles out there but a lot of bad too. This is a site you can trust. I have invasive lobular and invasive ductal is yours in suit or invasive? It sounds like yours was caught early, so that's good. I'm sorry you had to wait so long for the mammogram, but  now it's time to move on to the net steps. It sounds like you have gained info so what do you plan to do net? Have you got a second opinion, do you want one? Have you had surgery? I chose to not do chemo or radiation, and went more natural, also didn't do surgery, but no Dr. will agree with my choice or even see me as long as I don't agree to do the traditional treatments. I am not worried though because I believe I was given cancer for a reason and if I'm suppose to live, I will and if not I won't and who am I to question either of  my Higher Power's choices. Everything will be alright either way. Just stop obsessing and stressing and make you choices. I believe you had that breast massage for a reason, you were suppose to find the lump. So have faith and get better. God bless, you are not alone and he doesn't make mistakes.