- Home
- Forums
- General forums
- Treatments for sleep apnea
- What is an oral appliance? Do you have one
What is an oral appliance? Do you have one
- 124 views
- 0 support
- 11 comments
All comments
Woplee284
Good advisor
Woplee284
Last activity on 04/21/2024 at 8:17 PM
Joined in 2022
603 comments posted | 19 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
24 of their responses were helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Messenger
-
Explorer
-
Friend
Hi @594Tromohur
How are you doing today?
Thanks for getting this discussion started. Let me tag few people who may be able to share their experiences with you.
@Beaver041 @Crooblish351 @Loapreyblil989 @Beegraigrat9 @Youblolick132 @Noufrouvaysh @Trothouveyn090 @Yeetrol @056Fleesosh @2Chetoar @Frofleack03 @Brousheasat032 @8424Fadreyyin @Graheecayt6279 @Yayblo9 @Thoagrailes814 @Coofrecreen @Gleyweepleysh0 @Treeproo6 @Loathootat7532 @218Kouyeakoapeyck @1161Cafresh @Cleadayr683 @Chisuteat88 @Fejeas491 @Noajolucloos17 @3Faigroan @Peefloagegor6285 @Goablipleyt1 @Ceavaiboonil8 @Raiyoash0826 @Hadrukel084 @Fraibleyveeng6787 @Youdopa5831 @Blichoun4844 @Shayto315 @Laivayfloo35 @Hidden username @Keaploon4419
Have you used an oral appliance? Is it effective for your sleep apnea? Was it expensive? What are your reviews?
Take care,
Lizzi from the Carenity team
See the signature
LizziB
Close all
See the responses
Paiboosun1
Good advisor
Paiboosun1
Last activity on 10/01/2026 at 11:30 PM
Joined in 2020
288 comments posted | 28 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
15 of their responses were helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Committed
-
Explorer
Hi and thanks for asking about oral appliances. I don't have 1, yet was tried to be fitted for 1. It's like a Huge retainer. I have mouth guard, as I grind teeth, but appliance didn't seem quite right. A good friend uses 1 & I've gotten her to & from appointments. She swears by it, same way I swear by full spectrum light. I would believe insurance would cover cost of appliance. It is used for health improvement.
See the signature
Peggy Erickson
Hide the responses
Priduclush
Priduclush
Last activity on 08/25/2025 at 6:08 PM
Joined in 2023
5 comments posted | 4 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
Rewards
-
Messenger
-
Explorer
no I dont have one
Feajeemal7804
Feajeemal7804
Last activity on 08/31/2025 at 11:22 PM
Joined in 2023
3 comments posted | 2 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
1 of their responses was helpful to members
Rewards
-
Explorer
I have been curious about these as well.
Ploopluveesh5814
Ploopluveesh5814
Last activity on 08/29/2025 at 2:55 AM
Joined in 2023
7 comments posted | 5 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
Rewards
-
Contributor
-
Explorer
I just got one last week and according to my Fitbit I'm sleeping much better. I have Medicare and they paid the whole cost. I will have to have another sleep study after I've been wearing it for a while, but it's so much easier than the cpap. I had to have it fitted to me by a dentist that does them. I doubt that insurance would cover any that are not professionally fitted. I do recommend it.
Close all
See the responses
2838Yogrenouclel
2838Yogrenouclel
Last activity on 08/29/2025 at 2:38 PM
Joined in 2024
4 comments posted | 2 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
1 of their responses was helpful to members
Rewards
-
Explorer
@Ploopluveesh5814 Hi Mary would you be able to give me some info regarding this device, what kind the name the brand how much did insurance cover ??
Ploopluveesh5814
Ploopluveesh5814
Last activity on 08/29/2025 at 2:55 AM
Joined in 2023
7 comments posted | 5 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
Rewards
-
Contributor
-
Explorer
@2838Yogrenouclel My oral appliance was custom made in a dentist's office. They did a scan of my mouth and made a mold and then made the device. It is made specifically for my mouth. I have Medicare and they covered the whole cost. Dental insurance doesn't cover these devices.
Hope that helps.
Paiboosun1
Good advisor
Paiboosun1
Last activity on 10/01/2026 at 11:30 PM
Joined in 2020
288 comments posted | 28 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
15 of their responses were helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Committed
-
Explorer
@2838Yogrenouclel . I'd recommend Googling oral appliance, sleep apnea. Really are like Big mouth guards. Wish u well.
See the signature
Peggy Erickson
Ploopluveesh5814
Ploopluveesh5814
Last activity on 08/29/2025 at 2:55 AM
Joined in 2023
7 comments posted | 5 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
Rewards
-
Contributor
-
Explorer
Just wanted to post an update. When I did a sleep study last Sept, my sleep score was 19.1. I got an oral appliance and had to have another sleep study done. My new score was 4.9. The oral appliance does work. I do have just a bit of difference in my bite. But, it's not enough to cause my any trouble.
Hide the responses
2838Yogrenouclel
2838Yogrenouclel
Last activity on 08/29/2025 at 2:38 PM
Joined in 2024
4 comments posted | 2 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
1 of their responses was helpful to members
Rewards
-
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone has any info on the dental appliance for sleep apnea because I can’t use the sleep apnea machine too restrictive for me , Thanks in advance for any advice you may have ??
Ceajoonaysh2263
Ceajoonaysh2263
Last activity on 10/27/2025 at 10:16 AM
Joined in 2025
Family/friend of a patient with Angiopathy since 2025
Other conditions: Aciduria, Abdominal adhesions
1 comment posted | 1 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
Rewards
-
Explorer
-
Newsfeeder
I got mine after struggling with CPAP for months and it's made a big difference. I still needed a few adjustments to get it just right, but I’m sleeping way better now and it’s easier to travel with. If you're curious about the kind I have, I found a lot of useful info at jeffreygrossdds.com that helped me understand what to expect.
Give your opinion
Articles to discover...
Subscribe
You wish to be notified of new comments
You have been subscribed
594Tromohur
Good advisor
594Tromohur
Last activity on 02/26/2024 at 12:37 AM
Joined in 2018
48 comments posted | 8 in the Treatments for sleep apnea group
1 of their responses was helpful to members
Rewards
Good Advisor
Contributor
Messenger
Explorer
Hi
I was wondering if anyone uses an oral appliance for sleep apnea? From what I understand, its a custom "retainer" of sorts. Did your insurance cover it? Does it help?