Advice on how to tell people I have breast cancer

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/breast-cancer.jpg

Patients Breast cancer

Posted on

My experience telling people I worked with, is to be specific up front with your boss if you don’t want them to tell anyone. For me it was awkward because it was like a rumor spreading at the highest level, and people started asking me about it immediately, but I wasn’t ready to talk.  It’s gossip to some, but genuine from others.

Posted on

@Mustangmama It is hard to figure out who to tell,you really never know how your family members and friends will react. Some people may try to drown you in support , even when you might want to be left alone. Others pretend nothings wrong because they are frightened just by the word "cancer" . Or they want you to feel "normal"when you are sick or sad  or tired, or you've gone bald. I am the kind of person that is a care taker , and does not do well when others want to care for me. I did appreciate their help especially when I was exhausted after the Nulasta shots I took the day following chemo. it was like a 24-36 hour flu. I did manage to tell people just exactly how much help and when I needed help. communication was key. Do not be afraid of telling family you need alone time , or you really need help. hugs, Denise

Posted on

It is hard to figure out who to tell,you really never know how your family members and friends will react. Some people may try to drown you in support , even when you might want to be left alone. Others pretend nothings wrong because they are frightened just by the word "cancer" . Or they want you to feel "normal"when you are sick or sad or tired, or you've gone bald. I am the kind of person that is a care taker , and does not do well when others want to care for me. I did appreciate their help especially when I was exhausted after the Nulasta shots I took the day following chemo. it was like a 24-36 hour flu. I did manage to tell people just exactly how much help and when I needed help. communication was key. Do not be afraid of telling family you need alone time , or you really need help. hugs, Denise

Posted on

I have noticed that I need to be more specific if I need help.  I am learning!

Posted on

@Mustangmama I hope that things are going well with you . This site is a little hard for me to navigate. I will try to answer questions because I have been through a lot. I can only answer by my own experiences of course but I am happy to help if you have questions -Denise p.s. sorry it took so long to get back to you I am going to try to check in more often.

Posted on
Thanks for asking, Denise. I got a little bad news last week. I had a large seroma (fluid accumulation) under my arm and incision. I had to get a new drain tube, but it comes out tomorrow and I should feel a lot better. The great news is that my Scores were low so I don't have to take chemo! I feel very blessed.

Most commented discussions