- Home
- Forums
- Breast cancer Forum
- Living with breast cancer
- Has breast cancer affected your marriage or relationship? Share experiences, support, and advice.
Patients Breast cancer
Has breast cancer affected your marriage or relationship? Share experiences, support, and advice.
- 178 views
- 6 times supported
- 19 comments
All comments
Go to the last comment
Unregistered member
Unregistered member
My fiance cheated on me cause he didnt want me having fake brwasts after being diagnose with Ductoral Circanoma. 3 days after bilateral mastectomy he left me. After almost 2 decades he decided i wasnt good enough to keep because of breast cancer.
4577Thaicin
Good advisor
4577Thaicin
Last activity on 10/18/2022 at 2:56 PM
Joined in 2018
55 comments posted | 19 in the Breast cancer Forum
3 of their responses were helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Messenger
-
Explorer
@Hidden username I'm really sorry that happened to you. I'm scared of a mastectomy because I don't know if I can handle feeling disfigured. Have things gotten better for you since you last posted?
0Foubrean
Good advisor
0Foubrean
Last activity on 09/01/2020 at 4:32 PM
Joined in 2018
15 comments posted | 12 in the Breast cancer Forum
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Explorer
I was just thinking about this today... I'm going through chemo again and I think the dynamic has really changed with my husband. He's afraid of hurting me I think and keeps a distance from me. I'm grateful for it on the days that I just feel sick and exhausted after treatment, but some days I wish he'd stop being delicate and just hold me like he used to. I'm afraid he doesn't find me or my body beautiful anymore.
Unregistered member
@0Foubrean ,
If I may, you should not think it that way. Have you ever seen couples where he is very handsome and she is ugly and wonder how can that be? That is because beauty, I believe, is just a luring thing to allow reproduction but for a couple relationship to last a lifetime, other values come into play. Cancer cannot change values. Did you try talking to him?
Choujoujeang
Good advisor
Choujoujeang
Last activity on 01/10/2023 at 12:50 PM
Joined in 2018
25 comments posted | 13 in the Breast cancer Forum
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Explorer
@0Foubrean Hey, @Hidden username is right. Cancer can't change values. Your husband loves you for you, not just for your body. Definitely talk to him and tell him what you need. I definitely went through a rough patch like that after my mastectomy. I didn't love my body so I couldn't imagine anyone loving it either. But with time and healing and being honest with myself and my husband I knew that our love for each other was stronger than physical attributes. I'm still working on it, but I'm trying to love and accept my scars.
Shefleang545
Shefleang545
Last activity on 05/14/2026 at 11:29 PM
Joined in 2020
3 comments posted | 1 in the Breast cancer Forum
1 of their responses was helpful to members
Rewards
-
Explorer
@4577Thaicin Yes, I don't really like how I look now- it takes a long time to get used to all the changes, but I AM ALIVE TODAY, and that makes it all worth it!
Razar.M
Community manager
Razar.M
Community manager
Last activity on 10/02/2026 at 5:33 PM
Joined in 2026
39 comments posted | 5 in the Breast cancer Forum
Rewards
-
Contributor
-
Messenger
-
Explorer
Hi everyone 💗
I wanted to gently bring this older discussion back, as breast cancer can affect relationships in ways that aren’t always easy to talk about.
Diagnosis and treatment may change routines, responsibilities, communication, intimacy or simply how you and the people closest to you relate to one another. Every relationship and every experience is different.
Did breast cancer change any of your close relationships, whether with a partner, family member or friend?
Was there anything someone did or something you wish they had done , that helped you feel more supported?
Please share only what you feel comfortable sharing. Your experience may help another member who is navigating similar changes and wondering whether others understand what they’re going through. 💙
Take Care,
Razar from the Carenity team💖
Razar.M
Community manager
Razar.M
Community manager
Last activity on 10/02/2026 at 5:33 PM
Joined in 2026
39 comments posted | 5 in the Breast cancer Forum
Rewards
-
Contributor
-
Messenger
-
Explorer
Hi everyone 💗
@Choujoujeang @0Foubrean shared parts of your stories in this discussion some time ago, so I wanted to check in and ask how things are for you now.
Have you found new ways of coping, communicating, or asking for support? And are there any difficulties that have remained harder to manage?
I’d also really like to hear from other members of the community. If breast cancer has affected your relationship with a partner, family member, friend, or even the way you relate to yourself, feel free to share your experience.
What has helped you most, and what do you wish the people around you understood better?
Share only what you feel comfortable with. Your story may resonate with someone going through a similar experience. 💙
Take care,
Razar from the Carenity team💖
Give your opinion
Members are also commenting on...
Leableeceesh7054
@Courtney_J I am getting very nervous and scared because the surgery is July 13, 2021. My parents both died this year so I dont have them to talk to. My mom died on Feb 16, 2021 with a sickness she was suffering for 18 months so i was dealing with that for the last months and then my dad had a major stroke 3 weeks after my mom passed away and he could no longer go back to his assistance living so we had to find a nursing home. We found one he was only in there 3 weeks and then he passed away on May 6, 2021. Right after all that I was diagnosed with cancer so I have been on a train that is non-stop. I feel like I am so tried out and I dont have much energy left. My sisters are not helpful they keep telling me just pray. They both got to take 2 weeks vacation after my mom and dad passed away. I have not even had time to take a breather I am just on the train of bad luck. That is how I am feeling.
See the best comment
Symptoms and complications of breast cancer
What was your age and what initial symptoms did you experience at onset?
Leableeceesh7054
@Courtney_J I am getting very nervous and scared because the surgery is July 13, 2021. My parents both died this year so I dont have them to talk to. My mom died on Feb 16, 2021 with a sickness she was suffering for 18 months so i was dealing with that for the last months and then my dad had a major stroke 3 weeks after my mom passed away and he could no longer go back to his assistance living so we had to find a nursing home. We found one he was only in there 3 weeks and then he passed away on May 6, 2021. Right after all that I was diagnosed with cancer so I have been on a train that is non-stop. I feel like I am so tried out and I dont have much energy left. My sisters are not helpful they keep telling me just pray. They both got to take 2 weeks vacation after my mom and dad passed away. I have not even had time to take a breather I am just on the train of bad luck. That is how I am feeling.
See the best comment
Articles to discover...
10/09/2023 | Testimonial
Paget's disease of the nipple: "Don't let waiting for a diagnosis deplete your reserves!"
Medication fact sheets - patient opinions...
Subscribe
You wish to be notified of new comments
You have been subscribed
Lee__R
Community managerGood advisor
Lee__R
Community manager
Last activity on 04/03/2020 at 5:04 PM
Joined in 2018
1,336 comments posted | 25 in the Breast cancer Forum
2 of their responses were helpful to members
Rewards
Good Advisor
Contributor
Messenger
Explorer
Friend
Top chef
Hi everyone,
Breast cancer often mentally, emotionally, and physically impacts the person diagnosed with breast cancer, as well as his or her spouse or partner. From the diagnosis and treatments to the medical appointments and financial burdens, breast cancer may impact marriages and relationships.
In this discussion, members - both those diagnosed with breast cancer and their spouses or partners - are encouraged to share their experiences and stories on how breast cancer affected their marriage or relationship, share advice, and give support.