/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and NASH

6 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on

Several studies have investigated the impact of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) on the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, but the diagnostic methods were variable. An Italian research team conducted a meta-analysis of studies assessing the association between the existence of NASH and the occurrence of diabetes. Only observational studies of more than 500 subjects with a duration of at least one year and in which NASH was diagnosed using imaging methods were selected.

The study analyzed 19 observational studies involving 296,439 subjects, including 30.1% with NASH and nearly 16,000 cases of diabetes. Patients with NAFLDhad a higher risk of developing Type 2 diabetes compared to those who did not have NAFLD. Patients with severe NAFLD were also more likely to develop diabetes. This risk increased with ultrasonographic steatosis scores, but it appears to be even higher in patients with NAFLD  and advanced fibrosis score.

In conclusion, NAFLD is significantly associated with a twofold increase in risk for developing type 2 diabetes. However, the fact that these studies are observational does not prove the causality of this relationship.

Sources: Mantovani A. et al. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and risk of incident type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis. Diabetes Care 2018; 41: 372-382.

Do you have type-2 diabetes? If yes, share your story...

If no, are you concerned with developing type 2 diabetes? Do you do anything to reduce your risk of developing diabetes?

Beginning of the discussion - 1/18/19

NASH is associated with a 2-fold increase in the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on

Hello members, I am tagging you in this discussion because I thought you may find this interesting in how research shows NASH is significantly associated with a doubling risk of developing type-2 diabetes.

Do you have Type-2 Diabetes in addition to NASH?  If not, were you aware of this association between NASH and Type-2 Diabetes? Do you do anything to reduce your risk of developing diabetes?

@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username@Hidden username‍ 

NASH is associated with a 2-fold increase in the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
Member Carenity
Posted on
I have had type 2 diabetes for 25 years. I am now insulin dependant and have metabolic disorder/insulin resistance. I have developed liver and kidney disease and neuropathy. I have tried for years to control it with diet, exercise and metformin to no avail. I had to retire on disability in 2016. I am 64 yo and 100 lbs overweight (insulin makes it very hard to lose weight) and neuropathy plus spinal deformities makes it hard to exercise enough. Nearly everyone in my family has or had diabetes. I hate this disease. It robs me of so much. I deal with pain every deal and cannot take anything be Tylenol for it which doesn't help. I am trying to cut carbs as much as I can but my doctor says no keto diets because of my kidney disease (too much protein). Next week I go for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy and a gastro emptying test to r/o gastroparesis as the cause of my constant nausea and abdominal pain. My sister died of complications of diabetes at age 56. I am almost 65 but I am fighting to survive this horrible disease. I hope someday, even if it is not in my lifetime, a cure or a successful treatment for diabetes can be found.

Member Carenity
Posted on

hello......as far as dieting  not only watch the carbs also you might want to watch the calorie intake we are only allowed 1500 calories and also give you some insights on something apparently what i also found out is tylenol messes with the liver to and it raises the enzymes up  so anyways this is what im doing for dieting cut back carbs and the calorie intake as well and also you might want to  cut back off the fat intake to that might help is well

Member Carenity
Posted on

I want to know what you do about a fatty liver 

Member Carenity
Posted on

basically Maetucker the only options that doctors gave me is diet and exercise 

Member Carenity
Posted on

I do not have type 2 diabetes but am likely pre-diabetic now, but as with @Hidden username‍ I monitor greatly my diet and try to be as active as possible... weight is easily put on for me :/

I always started taking omega 3s.