https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/crohns-disease.jpg

Patients Crohn's disease

3 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on

As with all chronic conditions, Crohn's disease has unwanted side effects that can very in degrees of severity. With symptoms of any chronic conditions, not only do the symptoms affect individuals physically, but they also often have an impact on individuals mentally, emotionally, and socially.

How has or does Crohn's disease affect your romantic relationship? How do you manage/cope with these effects on relationships? Do you recommendations for others?

Beginning of the discussion - 8/14/19

Has Crohn's affected your romantic relationship?
Member Carenity
Posted on

Crohn's for me impacted basically all aspects of my life and therefore it has also had an impact on my relationships; however, now that I have it better under control (I have learned my body better and can sense changes / flares better and am able to proactively prepare/manage) the impact is less. Also, I have become more accepting of the condition and now am taking it as a part of me... in the beginning it was much harder to deal with  mentally. 

If you would have asked me when I was first diagnosed, I would have said it had a huge impact on my relationships; the woman I was dating at the time left me, which hit me hard as we were together for almost 2 years. I then got into another rebound relationships shortly after, which was over in about a month. During these times I was refusing to go out anywhere and was depressed. I stopped dressing nice and taking care of my self... I fell this is what likely ultimately pushed my girlfriend of 2 years away... more so than the non-so-pleasant symptoms. However, while that led me into a bliss of even more depression and self pity, it led me to being stronger.

I started learning my body and started taking care of myself of again. I found foods that did not affect my body and just focused on them... I do not indulge on really anything anymore, unless I know it is tried and tested and my body won't adversely react. Not fun, but it works. I am now in a relationship with a wonderful lady who supports me and encourages me when I do have a flare or just a bad day.

One thing I do still struggle with is fatigue... however, I push myself to not be. I am not advising anyone of this, but I went to the psychiatrist who provides me medications for depression and explained the fatigue... I am not taking a mediation that is supposed to also aid in depression, but also release a neurotransmitter that gives you more liveliness and energy. My point is... it is a two way street... work to make the relationship successful, but never feel less of yourself and that you do not deserve a great partner who supports you because you do.

Member Carenity
Posted on

I never know which impacts a relationship more... the actual symptoms or our fears of how others perceive us as a result of our symptoms. I think patience and understanding is the key with relationships, so that both can understand the impacts of crohn's and how living with it affects us not only physically, but also mentally.

Member Carenity
Posted on

My husband and i have been together 5 years, married 3.5 and he has been the one with me since diagnosis. He goes to almost all appointments with me and is very active in my healthcare. There are periods of time that i dont want anything physical, but i make myself be intimate during those times as long as i am not in excruciating pain. I have found that the more my husband knows about how i have been feeling and whether i think i can handle it, the better. 

As far as mentally and emotionally....im still working on that....my hubby suffers from depression and anxiety so i try my hardest not to add more to him. I talk to my friends aboutbhow I'm feeling and support groups that i am part of on FB and other apps. That helps.