Do you also have acid reflux (GERD) in addition to COPD?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/copd.jpg

Patients COPD

4 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Hi, I've been doing some reading on COPD and I came across a few things on the link between COPD and acid reflux. Apparently 78% of people with COPD also have acid reflux, myself included. And the acid reflux can also cause a flare-up? I had never put the two together. 

Has anyone else noticed that your breathing is affected when you have indigestion?

Beginning of the discussion - 4/7/21

• Community manager
Posted on

Hi @COPDme‍, thank you for opening this discussion. This is an interesting topic, I wasn't aware of the link between COPD and acid reflux! Let me tag some members to see what they think about this.

Hello all, how are you today? Are you aware of the link between COPD and acid reflux? Do you yourself also have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or acid reflux)? If so, have you noticed its impact on your COPD? What do you think?
@Maggie,sson@Spygirl@CarolnTN@tylarkate@Sharonf@Nanny1@Tammy11@Sewdebit@brokirch@Klinker@bizzyazab1213@AdaMiley@DonnaJarvais@Kathy68@Irishgirl1251@barblenihan@Shellyhouse@debchamp‍ 

Feel free to share your thoughts and questions here!

Take care,
Courtney

Posted on

I've had GERD by way of Barret's Esophagus for a fair number of years, well before my emphysema was diagnosed.  I  never gave it much thought that they might be connected, never noticed any link between them.

Posted on

I've also had gerd for several years.   Way before I was diagnosed with COPD.   I was never aware that the two were related.

Posted on

@COPDme  Yes I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus a few years ago. I'm sure I could have been diagnosed earlier but the symptoms were slight. So seems a lot of us have both.

Most commented discussions