https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/copd.jpg

Patients COPD

7 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity
Posted on

my job moved into a new building without an elevator and now i have to go up two flights of stair every day.. every day i dread it, it feels like by the time i get to the top i am going to pass out for lack of breath! anyone else experience this?

Beginning of the discussion - 7/21/19

Anyone have any trouble going up stairs
Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username i can maybe do two MAX anything over that has me feeling like i'm not going to make it! odd that your buidling doesn't have an elevator, would think that would be a safety hazard or just something buildings need for disabled folks... sorry to hear that though. it would be tough having to go to work like that 

Member Carenity
Posted on

won't the exercise of using the stairs generally increase your tolerance of using the stairs??? Are you using the exhale when going up (working) and inhale when on the stair treads? Also pursed lip breathing may help....

Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on

@Hidden username‍ excellent advice. IS that how you increased your endurance/tolerance?

Member Carenity
Posted on

I have trouble going up more than 1 - 2 flights of stairs (depending on how many stairs on the flight), without having to take a break and rest. I am better, believe it or not, than I used to be. I used to have difficulty just walking on flat surface for a minimal distance.

Member Carenity
Posted on
Yes along with 36 sessions at pulmonary rehab. That's where I learned the technique I described....& I was able to do TWO flights of stairs where before I could barely make it up one flight. SUCCESS!!!
Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username inhale on stare treads? Are you recommending exhale when I move my leg up to the next step and then inhale when both feet are staggered and when they are on the same stair?

Member Carenity
Posted on

Wow that is crazy that they do not have an elevator... you would think nowadays every business would have one/. But as others mentioned, as you continue to do it day in and day out, you will notice your ability to do it will be improved.

I would recommend resting when you need to. Do not over push it. Your body will adapt in due time as you continue to push it. I used to walk up the stairs at an apartment complex and it was extremely difficult and daunting at first, but as I kept at it, over time it became easier.