What is your "new normal" after mastectomy?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/breast-cancer.jpg

Patients Breast cancer

3 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

I recently had double mastectomy surgery. I'm so very fortunate that I didn't have to experience chemotherapy. My lymph nodes came back clear, even though the mass in my breasts were 10cm and had begun to "branch out." I opted to not have reconstruction in order to avoid having radiation treatment. My struggle, now, is coming to grips with my "new normal." My scars still hurt, I feel so self conscious, and I'm really wanting to hear from other women who've experienced mastectomy. How long did it take you to feel "normal" again? I don't want to wear prosthetics, but don't know how to get comfortable with how I look. What did you do to get through the process?

Beginning of the discussion - 3/4/22

• Community manager
Posted on

Hi @JackieLea, thank you for opening this discussion and sharing what you've been going through. Let me tag some other members who can hopefully share their experiences and advice with you.

Hi everyone,

For those of you who've been through a mastectomy, can you share about it? Can you relate to how JackieLea is feeling? How did you process what you'd been through emotionally? When did you start feeling "normal" again?

@denisejeanmckeon @MelissaDunaway @Hseechan55 @spapach @HopePromise @Vwolf1025 @PinkGlamgall @apalila @dianfor @felixcatwoman @MMASSpangler @Sandyj853 @demason @NancyH @Connie1985 @shawn758 @Avaseyes @Kat122016 @Snull74 @MrIbrance @Ashnt04177

Please don't hesitate to share with us here!

Take care,

Courtney

Posted on

I had a masectomy in January after being diagnosed with DCIS. Reconstruction next week. Sports bras are my favorite.

Posted on

I had a double mastectomy in June of 2021 and had 4 rounds of chemo. After genetic testing, I had my ovaries removed. I had my expanders put in this past March and am due to get the permanent ones put in next month. I'm hoping the permanent "boobs" will look better than the expanders. I tried the medical bras and the sports bras but after pulling my shoulder out getting it off, I'm going all natural. Still trying to figure out how I want to look.

Most commented discussions