How does your bipolar disorder affect your job / career? or vice-versa?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/bipolar-disorder.jpg

Patients Bipolar disorder

3 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

The stress, project dates, unexpected meetings, constant changes, and delaing with various personalities are not easy things to manage and cope with for any person, but living with bipolar disorder can make doing so more challenging.

How has a bipolar disorder diagnosis affected your job and career?

And/or how has your job and career affected your bipolar disorder?

Did you have to make any changes to your job?

Share, comment, and discuss together.

Beginning of the discussion - 5/30/19

Posted on

Hi @Lee__R‍ I have bipolar disorder and I do not work full time. I work part-time. My diagnosis definitely affects my ability to work and that is why I do not work full time. If I feel like doing work beyond my part time job, I will volunteer at local charities. It makes me feel better.

I am lucky to have a job I can do from home... I help manage various social media sites. This allows me to also have flexible hours when I am having difficulty. Before this job, I would wend up quitting jobs often.

Posted on

while I was working in office, that was really hard for me. In the periods of depression and apathy I couldn't concentrate and couldn't do anything useful, I just felt myself awful and all the days long I just drank tea and tried not to fall asleep right in the workplace. But all the other time I'm the most effective employee. Now I'm working from home and no one knows(I mean coworkers) that some work days I even can't get out of bed and spend all my time eating salads and dreaming this apathy ends. 

Posted on

I've been able to hold up pretty well with work. It can be really challenging during a depressive episode, especially in terms of energy. I was lucky in that I didn't have an episode during the time I was working from home, because that would have been really hard. @Satkanchik‍ are you feeling better?