What were the first symptoms you experienced?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/bipolar-disorder.jpg

Patients Bipolar disorder

6 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

What made you seek out a medical practicioner that resulted in the diagnosis of bipolar disorder? What were the initial syptoms you noticed?

How old were you at your diagnosis?

Beginning of the discussion - 5/30/19

Posted on

I never really knew... I just kept thinking I was going through and struggling with depression and that is why I sought out a doctor. But once I was diagnosed and the doctor explained to me the condition, it was so clear... I had always had such highs and then such lows since I can remember.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago and still trying to best manage my condition. I am now 34.

Posted on

Hi everyone. Have you noticed we now have a group/forum dedicated to bi-polar? If you are not part of this group, make sure to click "Join Group" at the top of each of the forums within the group.

Come join in on one of our newest discussions on what were your initial signs and symptoms of bipolar disorder? What made you seek out a doctor/counselor? How old were you at diagnosis?

@parchmanchristine@Kkanyon10@Kayla8@ahrossmann73@Kristina_M@GLENDA@Vickyc14@MMS9981@tammiorw69@JaxsonsMomma@foster.kelli@KO_Migraine@Sheilabluebird@Roddick4864@Bzano486@fimacca85@Jessicaray@ajjandz6@sboyer@magicpamela@Melissa1977@Happyness@Jazz54@Sorrelli7@HananHassan@Mowens1000@Needsomething01@Katie-Kat@Sheilablue@Kimberly72‍ 

Posted on

@Lee__R I was hospitalized numerous times as a preteen & teenager for depression and anxiety. The older I got the more manic episodes I had and that's when my psychiatrist who I've been seeing since I was 12 noticed my symptoms were different. I went through a very traumatic event when I was 19. I was finally put on proper medication for bi polar disorder and I also stopped heavily drinking. I'm now 22 and haven't had a manic episode in a few years

Posted on

I had mild ups and downs throughout childhood.  Just thought that was life.  Did well in High School with my grades.  In College I was extremely happy and restless and couldn't concentrate on my studies.  I would take tests without ever having read any of the books I was supposed to.  All I did was go to class and listen.  I couldn't concentrate long enough to read.  Somehow I got by.  Then my sophomore year I felt suicidal at times.  Thought about taking a bottle of pills.  But same thing somehow I got by my sophomore year.  My Junior year I made it only half way through.  I went to my final exams and wrote my name on all the tests and nothing else and passed them in.  I abruptly dropped out of school.  I went home and cried everyday for months.  It only got worse from there.  Then I started having strange thoughts and behavior.  Drank more and slept around some-one night stands. It got to the point that I decided I was going to go and live on the streets of NYC because NOBODY understood me.  I started having religious delusions and racing thoughts.  I felt like there were messages meant especially for me coming from everywhere.  Luckily I didn't drive to NYC and live on the streets.  I was so out of control and afraid.  I told my Dad to take me to the Hospital because there was something wrong with my head.  The rest is History.  I am bipolar I and I have been hospitalized several times.  I don't drink or do drugs but I had a big problem with smoking for a long time and periods of denial.  Thinking that the doctors were all wrong.  Now I have spiritually and faith in my life.  I look for comfort in simple things.  My mantra about life is "Keep it in the middle".  I don't like to go to extremes over anything.  I still struggle sometimes with concentration and focus.  I really had to search for the hobbies and activities that work for me.  This is a lifelong illness that I have to take medication for.  But it's more than just taking medication.  You have to find what works for you.. For me that has been a process.  I could write on and on for hours.  But I won't (ha,ha).  Feel free to ask me any questions if you want.

Posted on

Oh this is Laurie Ford again.  I was about 22 when I was diagnosed.

Posted on

@Lee__R I was 12 years old, I'm 24 now.

I guess I showed symptoms as a child I was always in a panic and aggressive, I would rip out my hair to the point I had bald patches everywhere. I was physically aggressive to my smaller brother, I broke his arms a few times for no reason, or killed his fishes. So my mom isolated me from them instead of finding me help, I was hospitalized at 12 forced by my school because I began self harming because I just didn't want to hurt anyone and I didn't know how else to release the anger and sadness I felt. My first symptom was hearing voices and seeing things, I would hear people calling me or see people standing in the corner of my room, I still do, but I learned to block them out by blasting music.