How do I know my limits with MS? How do I know when I should slow down?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/multiple-sclerosis.jpg

Patients Multiple sclerosis

7 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity
Posted on

I was only diagnosed a year ago.  I still TRY to live like I did before MS.  By 4 or 5 in the afternoon I am hurting so bad and totally exhausted I goto bed.  How do I know when to slow down,  take it easy or set limits? I'm a GO go go kind of person.  Thank you for any feedback. 

Beginning of the discussion - 6/21/18

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username‍ . What is it that you do that wears you out? How is your mobility currently?

I get tired after a long day too, but I have gotten used to knowing I required multiple breaks throughout the day. Do not be upset with your MS, but rather learn the best to cope and do not overdo it. You are go getter!

Member Carenity
Posted on

Daily things, dishes, laundry,  floors,  making the bed

Member Carenity
Posted on

As you go along the journey you will naturally remember to try and take things a bit slower and let go of some tasks. These words from a former marathon runner so I understand go go go ... I cannot run at all anymore but I’m thankful I’m still mobile. Even gentle forms of exercise have become almost impossible. Every time I push too much I get sick. Hang in there. 

Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on

Hello everyone. This is a great discussion, especially for those newly diagnosed with MS.

I am restarting this discussion. Please feel free to comment and share your advice and experiences.

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username hopefully by now you've learned your limits better and can take breaks as often as you need. i know i was frustrated at my fatigue and truthfully still am somedays, but the best way to preserve yourself to continue doing what you want/need to do is by listening to your body, slowly down, taking breaks and stopping at times. 

Member Carenity
Posted on

yes listening to your body is IMPORTANT. Somedays especially when first diagnosed i tried to just "power through" but that always ended badly. listen to your body and know that it doesn't mean you're less than or anything, just that you have added stress and limits from a disease that is difficult for many of us. 

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username hang in there!