Living With Lung Cancer: What Is Your Story? Show Support

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Lung cancer

12 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Hi members,

Please introduce yourself here and share a brief synopsis of your story, such as the date and type of diagnosis, how did you receive the diagnosis, how has your support system been, etc. Then show support for others!

You are not alone and have a community here supporting you. I admire all of your strength and courage and wish you all nothing but health and happiness.

Beginning of the discussion - 12/24/18

Posted on

I was diagnosed with Stage IV squamous NSCLC in August 2016.  Have had four different  sessions of chemo, three immune therapies including Optiva and Ketruda and now a non advertised one.  I have also had 15 radiation treatments, all of which have not stopped the progression of this nasty disease.  However, I feel good, am upright and breathing air and able to continue most of my daily activities at the age of 77.  Modern medicine is wonderful and if I didn't have bad knees would be dancing a jig!!

Posted on

My mother was diagnosed with advanced stage lung cancer with brain mets in June 2015 at the age of 48 years old. The only reason we found out was she had a seizure due to a tumor in her brain swelling and caused a midline shift. She has had whole brain radiation treatments and was on tarceva until it quit working now she is on tagrisso so fingers crossed it is working! 

Posted on

I was diagnosed with stage 1A lung cancer in November. Had a lobectomy in December.  They removed lymph nodes and the cancer had not spread. Still under the care of the surgeon.  I am searching for information on whats next. what are the chances of it coming back and where? What diagnostic test will be given to look for it?   I am searching for answers.    

Posted on

I was diagnosed with stage 2 lung cancer in August 2018. I did not pursue surgery,chemo or radiation. I started  with Keytruda but interrupted after 3 sessions due to being hospitalized with Encephagitis candida. Hospital 2 weeks  Came out, started with Jevity ( had G tube inserted in stomach) for a couple of months then came down with severe diarrhea and diagnosed with microscopic colitis. Hospital 1 week. Came last home week, doing ok but as soon as I started with Jevity the Diarrhea came back!  Maybe all of a sudden lactose intolerant?  I don’t know but will see if diet change will help. All this time weight falling off like crazy. 

Ive subscribed to as many articles as I can to see what’s going on. Drs sort of leave you once you’re out of hospital, so it’s up to me to gain as much knowledge as I can. Don’t be afraid to ask anyone or look for info wherever you can. I also use quad spray (  cannibis) and was on Budesonide in hospital but way too expensive to get on my own. Be diligent and do homework. 

Posted on

@AlwaysME What a story. Your mom is blessed to have you. Being diagnosed with lung cancer is not a simple journey and being able to have someone that loves you and cares for you is so important! How is the new medication doing for your mother?

Posted on

@Yvonne Hi Yvonne, can I ask why you chose to not pursue radiation and how are you doing now? Also what is the quad spray you speak of?

I was diagnosed in 2017 with stage II. Had surgery and also underwent radiation for the areas the doctors said that could not be surgically treated as well as for airway obstruction. Almost three years later, I am still kicking.

Posted on

My husband David was diagnosed with lung cancer in November, and has taken radiation and chemo, grade 3, this is so near his heart, the Dr. and I  and I guess him also have been so upset by this. he has been in the hospital 7 or 8 times. also with pneumonia, also haveing lots of trouble with his blood , it just gets so low on platelets 2 or 3 times he has had this  and numerious shots for every thing you can think of. He has lost about 70 lbs. and still loosing, looks like a walking skeleton, when he feels well enough to walk, he staggers allover the place, and is so very weak. The Dr. said he finished his go round of Radiation. She says that about half of the cancer is gone, I pray to God the rest of his chemo takes care of the rest of it. He has to take chemo every other week, but don't know because he has caught mine and the Grandaughter's  cold, or what ever it is, she said she was'nt sure, have been running a 304 fever at nite.

Posted on

Cancerdepulmon the new medication (tagrisso) seems to be working as far as shrinking the spot in her lung. 

Posted on

My husband has lung cancer... it is hard for me, as it is for him, as his wife.

Since diagnosis he has been very depressed even though recently we have received good news. He seems to feel defeated / beaten... not sure if anyone else can relate to this or provide any feedback.