- Home
- Forums
- Prostate cancer Forum
- Living with prostate cancer
- What does a rising Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) mean for you emotionally?
Patients Prostate cancer
What does a rising Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) mean for you emotionally?
- 6 views
- 0 support
- no comments
Give your opinion
Members are also commenting on...
Unregistered member
I made the decision to have my proste removed and it was not an easy time... just as hard as finding out you had prostate cancer... I was advised by my doctors the surgery was the best option because of my age and the harmful affects of radiation longterm. For me, once I made the decision, I did have the peace of mind knowing that the actual cancer was "removed" instead of just treated... which, I guess, did give me some sense of comfort.
The biggest issue for me once the surgery was done and I was on the road to recovering was the effects it had on me emotionally/psychologically, which many people in my opinion overlook. I encourage anyone and everyone, when diagnosed with prostate cancer, before and after treatment and during, to seek psychological help... there is nothing wrong with it. Medications, counseling, and just talking about your feelings can help tremendously. Do not hold it all in and try to battle the anxiety and depression because this diagnosis will affect you, no matter how strong you may consider yourself to be.
The sexual effects treatment has on you will also affect you mentally, because your sexual ability and ability to have kids will likely be affected. Your performance ability can be likely fixed, but it can still affect you mentaly. Take care of yourself.
See the best comment
Unregistered member
I made the decision to have my proste removed and it was not an easy time... just as hard as finding out you had prostate cancer... I was advised by my doctors the surgery was the best option because of my age and the harmful affects of radiation longterm. For me, once I made the decision, I did have the peace of mind knowing that the actual cancer was "removed" instead of just treated... which, I guess, did give me some sense of comfort.
The biggest issue for me once the surgery was done and I was on the road to recovering was the effects it had on me emotionally/psychologically, which many people in my opinion overlook. I encourage anyone and everyone, when diagnosed with prostate cancer, before and after treatment and during, to seek psychological help... there is nothing wrong with it. Medications, counseling, and just talking about your feelings can help tremendously. Do not hold it all in and try to battle the anxiety and depression because this diagnosis will affect you, no matter how strong you may consider yourself to be.
The sexual effects treatment has on you will also affect you mentally, because your sexual ability and ability to have kids will likely be affected. Your performance ability can be likely fixed, but it can still affect you mentaly. Take care of yourself.
See the best comment
Articles to discover...
Subscribe
You wish to be notified of new comments
You have been subscribed
Razar.M
Community managerRazar.M
Community manager
Last activity on 10/06/2026 at 3:52 PM
Joined in 2026
44 comments posted | 2 in the Prostate cancer Forum
Rewards
Contributor
Messenger
Explorer
Hi everyone 💙
For many people with prostate cancer, the PSA test becomes part of life long after the first diagnosis or treatment.
Before prostate cancer, PSA may have been just another number on a blood test.
After diagnosis, that same number can suddenly carry much more weight.
A follow-up appointment approaches. Blood is taken. Then comes the waiting.
Even a small change in a PSA level after prostate cancer treatment may bring back memories of diagnosis or raise fears about prostate cancer recurrence.
Doctors use PSA monitoring differently depending on the treatment someone has received. After prostate removal, PSA is generally expected to become very low. After radiotherapy, PSA usually falls more gradually and can sometimes fluctuate. A change in PSA therefore does not automatically mean that cancer has returned, and doctors look at the overall pattern rather than one result alone.
But knowing that medically does not necessarily stop the worry.
Some people even describe the anxiety before a PSA test as “PSA anxiety” or “scanxiety” that familiar period of waiting and wondering what the next result might mean.
And those feelings may be difficult to explain to friends or family who see the test as simply another appointment.
💬 We'd like to hear about your experience:
@Joocrool6323 @Prucroresul1 @4849Proonouneas @4351Hoatroat @Shaipribroash @Foubrean @Hidden username. @020Clooceysh @Veecetoalou6414 @Wucraisur55 @Bleafiwair7649 @Publaish2 @Cralon33 @Tafaijang5845 @Stovang4776 @Gidail @Stabebo5 @Brayrin187 @Dradeang2036 @Faysaystoos95 @6Hakouteas @Yeeyaibroukon @Gloveytrack229 @Woohoumas3297 @49Droutrustous @Glouteecrus @Greadrouthe022 @Clouhaysh5 @Wuchoatrair53 @Stoayoogaysh5969 @Paytheyng3211 @Daynaibleyl24 @Ceepleecloash08 @Waiveytray654 @Loothayles7 @10Bacripleetraish @Drouyisash9860 @Hoonock6850 @Fouthucous5611 @159Reetraicrool @Arctic6552 @Preedos32 @0982Poobraifaysh @Shopoodunais26 @Troutheynul00 @Traytufeyr0922 @Dreagleyr @8Mootoonoatrur @Glayhevish0863 @44Droacrayblayng @Floathaing6 @92Preecreycaish @Yooyoot15 @Hoonock @Preahougren4383 @Draichou61 @Ceahing344 @Soogoosh4 @Blejaigloack65 @Wadableysh3496 @Choubeyn20 @Ceavaiboonil8 @Troohea867 @Glifradrapesh3819 @11Blutristoa @Sheeder4 @Caicrouchour30 @Pleadit598 @Ceevayl622 @Deybroon8 @Presheebloash333 @Creecaygong0 @Kujaytrit79 @Bleabreakis6490 @Fleelouwees518 @Deymeeplel1759 @5Groutrouck @Frafair @Blefat81 @13Loucheyflees @Neefreplu56 @Goushung820 @Wiflaifreet428 @357Hacaysus @Powayblir200 @Broobeeflol3 @Kouroobayr832 @Mishougleachang43 @36Thostaiyosh @Sheeblayvoun2 @Bojaidreplish8 @Haigabresh68 @Faitrooblir42 @Croublait21 @Pubriprees012 @1Waiduche @Teeteyvaycoash418 @Roareeloas7386 @Stepreyfrouprat20
For some people, follow-up tests bring reassurance. For others, every appointment can reopen old fears.
How has regular PSA monitoring affected you emotionally after prostate cancer treatment?
With care,
Razar from the Carenity team💖