What were the symptoms you originally experienced that made you seek medical advice?

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Lung cancer

What were the symptoms you originally experienced that made you seek medical advice?
Member Carenity
Posted on

I went in for constipation--that's all.  Then mentioned that I had lost about 20 pounds in about 5-6 weeks.  He immediately did a CT scan and found extensive stage small cell lung cancer, then did a PET scan and bronchoscopy.  Thinking back, I did get tired more easily for about six months but just thought I wasn't a young kid anymore.  

Member Carenity
Posted on

I went to the hospital with a swollen calf, pain and redness.   Clot in left calf and hard time breathing.  Took me right in in ER.  Did chest X-ray, CT scans and biopsy, fluid around heart, stage 4 non small cell lung cancer.  Doing chem and keytruda since September 2018, now only keytruda  every 3 weeks. Last pet scan, everything had shrunk considerably..  can’t wait till another pet scan in April. 

Member Carenity
Posted on

I had Stage IV esophageal cancer. After 33 rounds of radiation and 11 rounds of chemo, I achieved remission. A year into remission I began getting pneumonia a total of 16 times. I had necrotizing pneumonia that put me in the ICU and nearly killed me. I'd never been so sick before or since. The radiation had deteriorated my esophageal tissue to the point that a growth called a zenkers diverticulum developed. It diverted food and liquid to my lungs and prevented food from reaching my stomach, I became severely malnourished only weighed 114 and couldn't even walk without help. They put in a feeding tube. Two months later, I weighed 130 and was ready for a huge operation. They removed the Zenkers in an 8 hour surgery. I was able to eat again and now weigh about 175. Anyway, while getting chest X-rays, I noticed that each time I had one, nodules left behind were growing at a pretty rapid rate. The hospital never notified my oncologist but I did and he did a biopsy. Lung biopsies are no picnic, but sure enough, those pesky nodules left behind from my necrotizing pneumonia. There were four of them, two cancerous. Stage I. So I've been doing chemo again. I'm about halfway thru with it now. C

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username wow what a story. I am so glad you YOU noticed the nodule left behind! Cannot believe they never notified your oncologist. I am sorry to hear you are undegoring chemo again, but glad to hear you noticed them and took your health into your own hands.

Hopefuly you are able to try to maintain your weight better this time also, as this plays a role in our health also.

Member Carenity
Posted on

Cancerdad that is alot to go through. Cancer and all the treatments we go through play its toll on the body.  Stay strong and prayers are with you. I know how hard it is to keep the weight on but it sure makes a difference in a persons health.  

Member Carenity
Posted on

Did anyone experience insomnia before they were diagnosed?

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username I did not I have stage 3a lung cancer found out in May of 2018 stared keytruda treatment in September of 2018 It is doing better than I ever thought I would be. hang in there