- Home
- Forums
- Depression Forum
- Living with depression
- How long does a period of depression last?
Patients Depression
How long does a period of depression last?
- 99 views
- 6 times supported
- 11 comments
All comments
Go to the last comment
Courtney_J
Community managerGood advisor
Courtney_J
Community manager
Last activity on 08/08/2022 at 11:09 AM
Joined in 2020
1,334 comments posted | 134 in the Depression Forum
6 of their responses were helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Messenger
-
Explorer
-
Friend
Hi @Leedibor1 ,
thank you for opening this discussion. It really is a good question! How about I tag some members here so that they could share their experience with you? 😉
@Voovar3620 @201Thoagomaibleeck @373Pidreabreeng @Toshicaival44 @Haytreen76 @Doolaygush9169 @Poacho95 @Bleydreat2 @Bayyeybrock45 @Loucleecreer05 @Breyfros7 @Creawabeer3433 @Prufroafreyck53 @Flucoal26 @Sigraybraing396 @Shoohoflouleyng9434 @Lighthouse5 @Floowaick8156 @Prufroafreyck53 @Cucroabloul15 @Plubeet7 @Noclir1 @Goustil751 @Grogaiflish03 @Hidden username @54Traheypleyng @6Proableyfleyng @Proafrearouck774 @75Flaiwout @Plithoagoosh17 @Faibeyr012 @Stooneabloacol8 @Flocreesh57 @Hidden username
Do you think you can help @Leedibor1 with this? What helped you shorten your last depressive episode?
Thank you all!
Take care and stay safe.
Courtney
See the signature
Courtney_J, Community Manager, Carenity US
Toshicaival44
Good advisor
Toshicaival44
Last activity on 10/03/2026 at 9:24 PM
Joined in 2021
65 comments posted | 26 in the Depression Forum
11 of their responses were helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Committed
-
Explorer
-
Evaluator
-
Friend
Sigraybraing396
Good advisor
Sigraybraing396
Last activity on 02/22/2026 at 11:32 PM
Joined in 2021
26 comments posted | 15 in the Depression Forum
1 of their responses was helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Committed
-
Explorer
-
Friend
For me, it depends on how the depression has come about and presented itself in my life. If I am crashing because of a hypomanic or manic episode, it can last anywhere from a month, to as long as six or seven months or more for me and that is with medication changes, etc. If my mania is at bay and a bout of depression comes on, it can be just a simple medication change, dosage change, and within a month or two I am feeling better. Depression, as you know, hits people differently, and they key, I've learned over many boughs of depression, is not to put a "time limit" on it. Right now I have been having a really difficult time with my sleep, which has caused all kinds of issues for me from a short, hypomanic episode, to and overwhelming sense of stress of daily life which then has led me into my current bout of depression. I am working on it with my doctor and she is treating the sleep issue first, because if your body is not sleeping enough, or having enough time to recover, anything else you try to do will, or could, fail and then you would wind up back at square one or worse. It's important to always be in constant communication with your treatment team and being very clear how your feeling and what is going on, And to remember it takes time, sometimes longer than other times, and I know, for me I have to always remind myself that when I am going through a bout of depression. I hope that helps. --Thom
See the signature
Thom Escott
Toshicaival44
Good advisor
Toshicaival44
Last activity on 10/03/2026 at 9:24 PM
Joined in 2021
65 comments posted | 26 in the Depression Forum
11 of their responses were helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Committed
-
Explorer
-
Evaluator
-
Friend
Hi
I have had depression my entire life. My findings are no quick cure. It takes time and smart decisions to feel better. Exercise, eat well, and daily Bible devotions. Exercise is my biggest struggle. Stay connected to people and have real conversations. Every little bit helps! Stay strong everyone we can do this!
Tatroucheas4042
Good advisor
Tatroucheas4042
Last activity on 01/24/2023 at 2:12 PM
Joined in 2019
74 comments posted | 49 in the Depression Forum
1 of their responses was helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Messenger
-
Explorer
-
Friend
Hi, I think it depends on what triggered the episode..and on how soon you realize you are actually having an eisode, and on how soon you ask for help.
Toshicaival44
Good advisor
Toshicaival44
Last activity on 10/03/2026 at 9:24 PM
Joined in 2021
65 comments posted | 26 in the Depression Forum
11 of their responses were helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Committed
-
Explorer
-
Evaluator
-
Friend
My experience has been Bible reading is nice quiet time, eating properly, and of course exercise but that only means a good walk!
I am also on medication and seek regular treatment with my PCP. I still have ups and downs but the highs and lows are much more balanced. I have a wonderful loving caring family that will also help when I am in need.
As for when to ask for help, you ask as often as it takes to get yourself in a better place!
Creawabeer3433
Good advisor
Creawabeer3433
Last activity on 06/29/2023 at 5:50 AM
Joined in 2021
6 comments posted | 6 in the Depression Forum
1 of their responses was helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Explorer
Looking back I’ve realized that I’ve had feelings and symptoms of depression from a very early age. I still get these feelings but sometimes they go away for months, then come back for awhile, and leave again. It sounds silly but my cat always helps me. Sometimes I think she can read my mind; she always comes right as I start to spiral and if I start having harmful thoughts she will put her head in my hand and sit with me, sometimes even for hours without leaving me. She makes me want to stay strong without feeling like I need to ignore these feelings. The only advice I can give to help shorten depressive periods is find someone who will do this for you.
Sigraybraing396
Good advisor
Sigraybraing396
Last activity on 02/22/2026 at 11:32 PM
Joined in 2021
26 comments posted | 15 in the Depression Forum
1 of their responses was helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Committed
-
Explorer
-
Friend
@Toshicaival44 I hate to say it, and it bothers me to, but there are no quick fixes for depression. It has to run its course, but you can help with it by doing mindfulness exercises, or trying to do activities you used or enjoy doing. I wish there was an one all, cure all pill or method that could shorten the length of depression but unfortunately there is not.
See the signature
Thom Escott
Sigraybraing396
Good advisor
Sigraybraing396
Last activity on 02/22/2026 at 11:32 PM
Joined in 2021
26 comments posted | 15 in the Depression Forum
1 of their responses was helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Committed
-
Explorer
-
Friend
@Toshicaival44 The Bible works for some, if you are into that. I know personally, and please do not take offense to this, but I have a different belief "system" if you will and, yes, there are quotes from the Bible that bring me comfort and precipitate the spiritual side of myself. I believe having spirituality in our lives gives us another tool to use to battle everyday life, especially with depression :)
See the signature
Thom Escott
Sigraybraing396
Good advisor
Sigraybraing396
Last activity on 02/22/2026 at 11:32 PM
Joined in 2021
26 comments posted | 15 in the Depression Forum
1 of their responses was helpful to members
Rewards
-
Good Advisor
-
Contributor
-
Committed
-
Explorer
-
Friend
@Tatroucheas4042 Realizing what triggers are for you are key, I agree. Sometimes they are hard to see, even when they are right there in your face, but the sooner you realize them, the sooner you can identify them and use your coping tools to help your current mood or depression and begin the healing process, which for some, may take more time than others,
See the signature
Thom Escott
Give your opinion
Members are also commenting on...
Articles to discover...
09/03/2025 | Testimonial
Treatment-resistant depression: "I relapse systematically at the same time every year."
08/17/2018 | Testimonial
No One Knows What Being Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis Is Like, So Maintain A Can-Do Attitude
01/21/2020 | Testimonial
Bipolar Disorder: understanding the causes, diagnosis and getting the right treatment
Medication fact sheets - patient opinions...
Subscribe
You wish to be notified of new comments
You have been subscribed
Leedibor1
Good advisor
Leedibor1
Last activity on 05/21/2026 at 5:02 PM
Joined in 2019
24 comments posted | 13 in the Depression Forum
Rewards
Good Advisor
Contributor
Messenger
Explorer
I've struggled with depression for a while. My regular activities will be like Bible devotions, healthy eating, and exercise. Keep in touch with individuals and engage in genuine dialogue. Every little bit counts. Received treatment from the best psychiatrist in Delaware. Stay strong everyone, we can do this.