Lately having difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep - any advice

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/ankylosing-spondylitis.jpg

Patients Ankylosing spondylitis

2 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity
Posted on

Hi everyone,

Lately I have had an increase in difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. I am not sure why this is being caused and I am not or have not had any severe flare-up in my condition... looking for any support or advice.

Thank you in advance.

Beginning of the discussion - 4/26/19

Member Carenity
Posted on

Do you wake up due to physical pain from the inactivity of sleeping, or just mentally wake up and end a sleep cycle (no pain).  

I used to take two Tylenol pM at 7pm, but now I take one Tylenol PM and one muscle relaxer that my neurologist proscribed.  I still start waking up a few times as morning gets closer (4:30am-ish) from pain in my neck, back, and chest, but I do get off to a good sleeping start in the 10pm -4am window. 

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username I have trouble with both of these. Pain is the usual culprit for keeping me awake, the the mind doesn't want to shut off too.  Warm Epsom salt baths help with pain and relaxation before bed. I sometimes do that in the middle of the night if I'm hurting and can't sleep. I add lavender oil or a blend with lavender to help me relax.  If you're in a state where it's legal, you might try a vape pen with a ratio of 5:1, 10:1 for example, of CBD:THC. While in Washington state I tried this at 5:1, and it worked great to relieve pain and help me sleep. Do start with only a hit or two to get used to it.  The bus tenders there believe the THC in low doses works as a vehicle to deliver the CBD faster to the body, as does caffeine in aspirin or Excedrin. 

Can't wait till we get medical MJ in my state. No side effects or what I call "the pharmaceutical hangover" from sleep meds, muscle relaxers, or tricyclic antidepressants that are used to aid sleep.  Good luck finding the right combo to help you sleep. I still find nothing works and stay up and read or catch up on Grey's Anatomy.  I take a pain pill, which that alone can help you stay asleep as you don't hurt, and 'watch' it off.  Sorry for the bad pun....