Type 2 diabetes and the coronavirus: Are we more at risk?

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Diabetes (Type 2)

17 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Hello my name is Bethani CHESNIk I have type 2 diabetes and I am wondering can I catch this disease of the cornoavirus easy out there. 

Thank you 

Beginning of the discussion - 4/12/20

Posted on

Yes you can its easier for people with diabetes

Posted on

@Bethdc Hey, I disagree with Ribbeck, I was just reading OHSU diabetes page that diabetics are NOT more susceptible to catching the coronavirus. We've been identified as one of the high-risk groups by the CDC, but we're still not necessarily at a higher risk of developing complications. If you have a comorbidity (another condition alongside diabetes) that impacts your immune system, your heart, etc., then you have reason to be more concerned. Those of us who are younger and have our diabetes under control should be ok. Regardless, we all just need to keep a clear head and follow the CDC's advice and our state's guidelines and we should all get through this just fine. Stay safe! :)

Posted on

@naptnm I agree, no reason to panic, we just need to use more caution than maybe before and follow the CDC recommendations. Just try to take care of yourself and your diabetes like normal and try not to worry too much. 

Posted on

I know I'm not panicking. About this. I don't worry about it I go to store. But that's it I don't do anything else. If your gonna get your gonna get it

Posted on

I was only saying what they say on the news. About chronic illnesses its easier to get it 

Posted on

My concern is when this is over and we can return to some what normal lives. Will we still be at risk because of those that are carriers of the virus? 

• Community manager
Posted on

@Carolynsheart60 Hello Carolynsheart60, thank you for commenting. That's a great question. I'm not sure if scientists know yet what the after effects of the virus will be. Let me tag some members so they can share their thoughts on this.

Hello members, I hope you don't mind that I've tagged you here. What do you think about Carolynsheart60's question? Do you think that there will be a risk for people with diabetes after the pandemic has calmed down? 

@Rsmalls@PeggieLoyd@Brillo63@Sayed11230@Babycakes1@bobbyObahama@Kristian@sshernand53@momjess2@joseyb77@carla68@lmich391@Traci0812@CC_214@MichelleAchor@Gogetit88@LLacle‍ 

Take care,

Courtney

Posted on

I'm not sure but how does it attack people with type 2 diabetes 

Posted on

That's a very good question.  One that I have myself 

Most commented discussions