Do your friends and family understand your depression?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/depression.jpg

Patients Depression

4 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Hi everyone,

I've been dealing with depression for a few years now, on and off. I try to mask it as much as possible and part of the reason is that I know that my family, friends, coworkers, etc. just don't understand. I've already gotten the "just snap out of it" or "you just need to stop being negative" too many times so I feel like it's just easier to hide it.

I don't know how to make them see that my depression is real and not just something I made up or that I can just "get over". Is anyone else's family or friends like this?

Beginning of the discussion - 10/21/21

• Community manager
Posted on

Hi everyone,

How are you today? Have you seen this older discussion? emoticon cute

Do you feel like your loved ones understand your depression? If they don't, how do you handle it?
@Odalisr0708@Kaleigh_clemons@snodo3@Maria1966@CSwids@Imsad:(@unknownsadness@kritter1121@Shreeia.j22@Sn129398@Donttouchmykindle@jennifermo@aburgos12@Avictoria@aemckinnon‍ 

Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences with us here! This space is yours!

Take care,
Courtney

Posted on

Um, well I’m actually in and out of foster homes so yeah, it’s very strict and they try to threaten me with places that that they would send me, that I’ve been to before, and they just try to “control” my depression and it’s really hard on me. Especially when you feel like you have no one, then the only people around you tell you to be happy, and you try but it hurts… then they tell you…you are happy….but dang..I never thought happiness would hurt so bad…

Posted on

How old are you Imsad:(.

Posted on

Hey everyone 

I know that this is probably for people with just depression but, I have postpartum depression and it’s been going on ever since I’ve had my son and ever since I’ve had my daughter it’s gotten worse. I don’t feel like I have anyone to turn to and it’s taken complete control over my whole life. I would talk to my fiancé but, I feel like he barely listens to me.

Most commented discussions