https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/crohns-disease.jpg

Patients Crohn's disease

4 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on

Hello,

Some people diagnosed with Crohn's may experience weight gain. This weight gain is sometimes attributed to Crohn's treatments / medications, but other reasons may include stress, lack of physical activity, and diet as result of the diagnosis.

Have you gained weight since you've had this condition? What do you attribute the weight gain to? Share your experience with other members.

Lee

Beginning of the discussion - 4/23/19

Have you experienced weight gain?
Member Carenity
Posted on

I actually experienced some weight loss when I first started having symptoms and for a bit after diagnosis. Once I started treatment, however, and got my condition better under control - the weight loss stopped. I cannot say I have gained weight, but I also do not eat like I once did, but I am not losing weight either. Kind of staying at the same weight.

Member Carenity
Posted on

Yes, Since now reading this post I have realized that I have experienced some weight gain since starting Remicade - about 10 lbs... I do not know if I should be concerned. Anyone have anything similar?

Member Carenity
Posted on

I have actually lost 50 pounds since my first ever flare 6 months ago. Steroids have been the only thing that helps maintain my weight. I cannot seem to gain weight no matter how hard I try. I will be starting biologics soon and will give an update.

Member Carenity
Posted on

I fluctuate between 205 and 240 pounds. Prednisone makes me gain quite a bit if weight, however once im off of it i go back to my normal weight of between 205 and 215. The most significant weight loss since have Crohn's has been after having each child, then after a year or so of their births i gain my weight back even though i have never been considered "in remission".