Logo Carenity
Logo Carenity
Join now! Log in
flag us
flag fr flag en flag es flag de flag it
Home

Forums

Latest discussions
General discussions
See all - Forum index from A to Z

Medications

Medications fact sheet
See all - Medication index from A to Z

Surveys

Ongoing surveys
The results of the surveys

Magazine

Our featured pieces
News
Testimonials
Nutrition
Advice
Procedures & paperwork

Conditions

Fact sheets
See all - Disease index from A to Z

About

About us
Why share your data?
The Carenity team
The ambassadors
Partner associations
Contributors
The Science and Ethics Committee
Our scientific publications
Our commitments
Certifications and awards
Carenity in the news
Editorial policy
Code of conduct and privacy policy
Legal notice
Terms of use
Cookie management
Contact
Carenity for professionals

Join now! Log in
  • Forums

    • Latest discussions
    • General discussions
    • See all - Forum index from A to Z
  • Medications

    • Medications fact sheet
    • See all - Medication index from A to Z
  • Surveys

    • Ongoing surveys
    • The results of the surveys
  • Magazine

    • Our featured pieces
    • News
    • Testimonials
    • Nutrition
    • Advice
    • Procedures & paperwork
  • Conditions

    • Fact sheets
    • See all - Disease index from A to Z
  • Home
  • Forums
  • General forums
  • Living with colorectal cancer
  • Starting chemo
 Back
Living with colorectal cancer

Starting chemo

  •  13 views
  •  0 support
  •  1 comment
avatar exit

Unregistered member

12/29/2019 at 11:22 PM

Hi! I am new to this site and this is my first post. A little back story on me......I found out i had colorectal cancer after an exploratory surgery was performed on me the day after i delivered my son. This was in September of this year. I had issues during my pregnancy and they were all blamed on my pregnancy and never looked into. During this surgery they found that my appendix had burst (where my cancer was found) and my right ovary had burst also (cancer was found attached to my ovary as well). They decided to wait a month and go back in again to take parts of my intestines and lymph nodes to see if the cancer had spread. Luckily that came back negative. I am cancer free as of right now. However, the oncologist i went to wants me to still do chemotherapy “just in case” for 6 months. I am a stay at home mom of 4 young kids that i am very active with. I am terrified of doing chemotherapy for many reasons. I am struggling with the decision of whether or not i should do chemotherapy if i am cancer free. I am going to meet with a second oncologist this week for his opinion but for now if anyone has any tips or suggestions for me i would greatly appreciate it. Any words of encouragement will gladly be accepted and appreciated too. Thank you for taking the time to read a short glimpse of my story. 

Follow

Other groups...

Carenity News
Feedback for Carenity
Fun and games
General Topics
Good to know
Health and Medical News
How to use Carenity
Let's talk about COVID-19
Life beyond illness
The Holiday Season
Youth patients with chronic conditions

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

All comments

avatar exit

Unregistered member

01/06/2020 at 5:14 AM

I had colon cancer 2 years ago.  It was removed with good margins.  they told me that everything looked good and i could choose chemo or not.  Being who i am I declined.  They told me there was 10% chance Id get it back. so I took my chances.  This past July I had a colonoscopy and sure enough the cancer was back.  they say they got it all and lymph nodes look good.  I've been on  chemo since surgery.  I have a colostomy (a piece of my gut hanging out my stomach with a bag attached.  Thats how I poop now. praying that I get my strength back after another 2 months of chemo plus radiation'  I hate it all.  Chemo kicks me to the ground and the colostomy bag is not helping.  However if I want to LIVE I guess I have th do this.  I'm 71 and have a lot to live for.  I even got a second opinion from a very well known cancer center.  they said stay with the program.  you are way younger than  I am and lots more to live for!  God bless you and keep you and your family.  No one can hate this more than me.  BUT Im doing it because even a 10% chance doesnt sound so good any more.   Do what you have to do.  6 months in the scheme of things is a short period of time to put your life on semi hold


Starting chemo https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-colorectal-cancer/starting-chemo-1407 2020-01-06 05:14:50

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

Articles to discover...

Benefits Of Doing Nothing: Why Rest Matters for Your Mental and Physical Health

10/02/2026 | News

Benefits Of Doing Nothing: Why Rest Matters for Your Mental and Physical Health

Medications That Cause Low Libido: A Guide by Drug Category

09/28/2026 | News

Medications That Cause Low Libido: A Guide by Drug Category

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

09/24/2026 | News

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

Caregiver burnout: When caring for someone else leaves no room for yourself

09/07/2026 | Advice

Caregiver burnout: When caring for someone else leaves no room for yourself

Cigarettes VS e-cigarettes: an update on the consumption and pitfalls to avoid

02/20/2019 | Advice

Cigarettes VS e-cigarettes: an update on the consumption and pitfalls to avoid

Telemedicine: Remote examinations and operations are here!

03/11/2019 | News

Telemedicine: Remote examinations and operations are here!

Chronic fatigue: patients' experiences and solutions

04/15/2019 | Advice

Chronic fatigue: patients' experiences and solutions

Love life in the face of illness: how to cope?

02/14/2019 | Advice

Love life in the face of illness: how to cope?

icon cross

Does this topic interest you?

Join the 500 000 patients registered on our platform, get information on your condition or on that of your family member, and discuss it with the community

Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now!

It’s free and confidential

Subscribe

You wish to be notified of new comments

 

You have been subscribed

Join now! Log in

About

  • About us
  • Why share your data?
  • The Carenity team
  • The ambassadors
  • Partner associations
  • Contributors
  • The Science and Ethics Committee
  • Our scientific publications
  • Our commitments
  • Certifications and awards
  • Carenity in the news
  • Editorial policy
  • Code of conduct
  • Legal notice
  • Terms of use
  • Cookie management
  • Contact
  • Carenity for professionals

Quick access

  • Health magazine
  • Search a forum
  • Learn about a condition
  • See medication reviews
  • List of forums (A-Z)
  • List of condition info sheets (A-Z)
  • List of medication fact sheets (A-Z)
  • Language flag fr flag en flag de flag es flag it

The www.carenity.us website does not constitute or replace professional medical advice.