Relationships after a Stroke / CVA: Adjusting, support, new normal?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/cerebrovascular-accident.jpg

Patients Cerebrovascular accident

Posted on

@James50 Hey again, it's going to take time for your body to adjust.  You want to keep making those connections from your brain to the resting side of your body you want that muscle memory.  Are you in physically and occupational therapy?  Keep listening to your body.  You said earlier that when you get tired it gets worse so remember that and try to plan your day so that you can take breaks and still accomplish your goals for the day.  Start slow and build up your routine as your body gets stronger it will take planning but is very doable.

Best wishes and God bless you and your family 🙏

Posted on

Hi I just found this site. My husband had ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke in late 2017. He lost half vision on right side of both eyes and short term and some long term memory. He gets anxious and loses his temper real easy. These are things he has NEVER done before stroke. He can go from being happy and nothing bothering him at all to everything bothering him and yelling that everyone’s against him all of a sudden. These mood/personality changes are so abrupt. We never know when they’ll happen. Any advice? Anyone else going through something like this? Is there any type of help for this for me to know how to help him though these times?

Posted on

@KnittingIsFun if I can make a recommendation it would be to attend his therapy or attend counseling because we hold a lot of things in and a lot various things can set us off and it is not us meaning to but we have had an altering experience. Each person is different in the extent to the brain damage, pain, and time/recovery potential.

Understanding better may help to better relate. I am not saying he should lose his temper or yell... he shouldn't but no person with or without having a stroke should. But if he was not like that before, he has that inside of him still and maybe you can help him bring it back. Hope that makes sense. Happy to help.

I feel I stress my spouse out all the time still.

Posted on

Hi @Crikitt‍, in the discussion about "whether your stroke was caused by an auto-immune disorder" you had asked to @billbo‍ how @billbo‍ 's husband's stroke had affected their marriage. I wanted to bring your attention to this discussion, since it is all about relationships after a stroke with several members discussing this topic, including billbo. 

Also, do not hesitate to ask questions/comments here or use the search bar at the top left of the screen to find other discussions you are interested in.

Posted on

@wennyvw I am glad you have support! consider yourself lucky and blessed because of it. I now have a girlfriend... did not have one before my stroke and recovering without an emotional / loving person helping me was hard. I am grateful her. 

Seeing that you had your stroke in December in 2018... I had mine 14 months ago... I am really seeing my recovery slow down. Did you notice the same or do you see yourself and have seen yourself to continue to make great strides in recovery?

Posted on

i know that i am really lucky to have a lovibg family support and a few amazing friends

my stroke was in 202016 and i do feel that im not improving anymore, but to be honest i did make remarkable progress

my main issue now is the lack of balance because it really slows down my recovery,  in every aspect

anybody else dealing with similar problems?

Posted on

I had a stroke at a really young age (22) and my girlfriend at the time was very supportive. Were no longer together, but still friends and I'm still grateful for all she did for me.