/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Skin cancer

2 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on

There exists varying degrees of surgery for skin cancer. Some of the more common methods are:

(1) Excisional surgery: doctor cuts out the cancerous tissue and a surrounding margin of healthy skin.

(2) Mohs surgery: doctor removes the skin growth layer by layer, examining each layer under the microscope, until no abnormal cells remain. This procedure allows cancerous cells to be removed without taking an excessive amount of surrounding healthy skin.

(3) Curettage and electrodesiccation or cryotherapy: After removing most of a growth, the doctor scrapes away layers of cancer cells using a curet. An electric needle destroys any remaining cancer cells. In a variation of this procedure, liquid nitrogen can be used to freeze the base and edges of the treated area.

Whether you had one of the above types of surgery or other, comment and share your experience.

Beginning of the discussion - 6/13/19

Share the your experience with surgery for skin cancer
Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on
Share the your experience with surgery for skin cancer
Member Carenity
Posted on

I had the Mohs surgery over a year ago on the center and right part of my nose with the forehead flap surgery afterwards. After the surgery, I had excruciating headaches off and on for what felt like forever, but I believe it was around 1.5 months when I started to feel them release.

I did not really feel better and start to feel confident about myself until about 5 months after the surgery.