Can we be prescribed anything for the anxiety caused by shortness of breath (dyspnea)?

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Respiratory system

6 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Can they give you anything for the anxiety of dypsnea 

Beginning of the discussion - 12/1/20

Can we be prescribed anything for the anxiety caused by shortness of breath (dyspnea)?

Posted on

@Pelletierc123 Hello Pelletierc123, thank you for opening this discussion. Dyspnea (a term for shortness of breath or labored breathing) is a common symptom of respiratory conditions and can certainly be anxiety-inducing. Let me tag some other members who may be able to shed some light on this.

Hello everyone, how are you today? Do you every struggle with dyspnea? Does it create anxiety or stress for you? How do you cope with it? Do you know if doctors can prescribe anything to help with the anxiety it may cause?
@Ruthie35@Bigrich0825@Donna_Cushin@Thetesa@Elpj2016@Netflix@Janray@ciluflet@Nannyc@Rodger@Boniellen@Ronda62*@dee450@Helton@lilmare11@jeankos59@MayorG45@JessPotato@gitagupta2020‍ 

Feel free to share your experiences and advice here!

Take care,
Courtney

Posted on

In order to deal with any anxiety during sob episodes, I try to focus on an object while concentrating on deep breathing exercises until it's under control. Works well for me. I'm a firm believer in no more meds than absolutely necessary. 

Posted on

anxiety comes with breathing problems i' on low dose 5mg klonipin thats all that helps me 

Posted on

I just got out of the hospital for dyspnea and almost Hypoxia. If you can get a prescription for a nebulizer, you will be very happy. It helps me tremendously. I do a treatment every 6 hours.

Posted on

@Pelletierc123 Low dose Klonipin is what i'm on works wonders . if you keep the axniety down your body can breath better because your not tense all the time . i take a half of 5mg . ask your Dr most have no problem with it , good luck .

Posted on

I just started a week ago on oxygen. My doctor could see the terror and sadness in my face. He gave me a little Xanax for anxiety but I don't really like it as I don't think it does anything for that. It does help me sleep for a few hours, though.