Psoriasis and smoking: Is there a link?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/psoriasis.jpg

Patients Psoriasis

4 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

Hi, I was doing some reading around on other sites and I found an article saying that around 15-20% of psoriasis cases are linked to current or past smoking!

Has anyone else heard of this? I used to smoke when I was younger but I had no idea it could lead to this!

Beginning of the discussion - 5/19/21

• Community manager
Posted on

Hello @Starke, thank you for opening this discussion! That's very interesting, I hadn't heard about a link between smoking and psoriasis!

For our other members, were any of you aware of this link when you are diagnosed? Do you think smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke could be behind your case of psoriasis? Have you noticed if smoking or being around smoke triggers your flares?
@kaitlin.engels@kimber003@w2007sara@Sheli70@dingodad@PoohBear3040@stain2319@laracroft44@SabinaYetta52@psopsofine@Kwarpenburg@MCSmith@Daline22@Marceloanderson@Babylioness31‍ 

Feel free to share with us here!

Take care,
Courtney

Posted on
I havent heard anything like that myself considering I had pso when i was like 13 or so.I didnt smoke until I was like 18.So I dont see how its connected.My mom believes lamp oil did it for me cause she used lamp oil to kill head lice.

Posted on

@PoohBear3040 Same for me. I was diagnosed when I was older but I've never been a smoker and the only people around me who smoked was my grandfather who I didn't live with, so I don't think I spent enough time around him for it to be from that. That's interesting about the lamp oil. I think mine is stress/trauma induced.

• Community manager
Posted on

Hello everyone,

Have you seen this older discussion? If you haven't seen already, we've just published an article on this subject: Does smoking make psoriasis worse?

What do you think? For those of you who are or were smokers, have you noticed if it had an impact on your psoriasis? Did you notice any changes when you quit?
@kaitlin.engels@kimber003@w2007sara@Sheli70@dingodad@PoohBear3040@stain2319@laracroft44@SabinaYetta52@psopsofine@MCSmith@Kwarpenburg@Daline22@Babylioness31@Marceloanderson@Scose46‍ 

Feel free to share here!

Take care,
Courtney

Most commented discussions