Have you ever been told you were faking? or over exaggerating?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/fibromyalgia.jpg

Patients Fibromyalgia

4 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

OK... so I have been told this this before... but I had a good friend the other day when she invited me to her birthday party and I was in a lot of pain, depressed, and not feeling well. I told her I did not think I would make it to the party. 

She became very upset with me and said I never come to anything and that if I did not come she would not reach out to me to get together again. 

She said I was over exaggerating my pain and what I was going through.

Confused... and it hurt coming from such a good friend... anyone ever have this happened to them?

Beginning of the discussion - 4/23/20

Posted on

I've definitely had this happen to me but obviously not in the exact same context. I think people don't understand the full extent of what we experience with fibro because it's an "invisible disease." People can't immediately tell you've got a chronic illness when they look at you and they don't understand that it comes in flares or that some days are worse than others. I'm sorry this happened to you. If she were a true friend she would understand why you couldn't make it and would know that you'd make it up to her.

Posted on

yes but I had other disabilities and was only diagnosed with fibromyalgia 

Posted on

I have never been accused of faking my pain, but have been told there is no such thing as fibromyalgia, which I have responded I don't care what you call it just make it go away.

Posted on

@dingalingas Wow that's crazy that someone said that to you! Was that a doctor??

Most commented discussions