https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/ankylosing-spondylitis.jpg

Patients Ankylosing spondylitis

5 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on

The purpose of this discussion is to discuss what physical therapy exercises or exercises that you have used that have been the most beneficial to your condition. 

Please state the type of exercise, describe how it should be performed, and how often (times a week, reps, sets) you perform such exercise.

I hope for this discussion to become a great place of reference for those with AS to reference.

Thank you for your participation.

Beginning of the discussion - 5/28/18

What physical therapy or exercises have been most beneficial to your condition?
Member Carenity
Posted on

I did not find physical therapy or exercises helped at all. I tried swimming,water suspension and nothing helps. The only relief I get is from lying flat in bed and injections. What are others doing for relief? S.

Member Carenity
Posted on

Years ago I did Bikram Yogaim sure I liked like an idiot but it made me feel like a million bucks. Downside it’s nit convenient and a 90 minute class

Member Carenity
Posted on

i was diagnosed 5 months ago and my pain is poorly controlled so i can not do any exercises

Member Carenity
Posted on

I have too much pain and definitely not enough energy to excerise.   Ive tried the gym, low impact cardio.  But 20 min and I barely have enough energy to drive home

Member Carenity
Posted on

As the disease progresses, exercise and physical therapy becomes very hard. I do my best to try and maintain good posture during the day (as best as I physically can) and that in itself is some exercise. I try to contract my abs and back muscle in doing so.