Logo Carenity
Logo Carenity
Join now! Log in
flag us
flag fr flag en flag es flag de flag it
Home

Forums

Latest discussions
General discussions
See all - Forum index from A to Z

Medications

Medications fact sheet
See all - Medication index from A to Z

Surveys

Ongoing surveys
The results of the surveys

Magazine

Our featured pieces
News
Testimonials
Nutrition
Advice
Procedures & paperwork

Conditions

Fact sheets
See all - Disease index from A to Z

About

About us
Why share your data?
The Carenity team
The ambassadors
Partner associations
Contributors
The Science and Ethics Committee
Our scientific publications
Our commitments
Certifications and awards
Carenity in the news
Editorial policy
Code of conduct and privacy policy
Legal notice
Terms of use
Cookie management
Contact
Carenity for professionals

Join now! Log in
  • Forums

    • Latest discussions
    • General discussions
    • See all - Forum index from A to Z
  • Medications

    • Medications fact sheet
    • See all - Medication index from A to Z
  • Surveys

    • Ongoing surveys
    • The results of the surveys
  • Magazine

    • Our featured pieces
    • News
    • Testimonials
    • Nutrition
    • Advice
    • Procedures & paperwork
  • Conditions

    • Fact sheets
    • See all - Disease index from A to Z
  • Home
  • Forums
  • General forums
  • Living with Acromegaly
  • Acromegaly and body image
 Back
Living with Acromegaly

Acromegaly and body image

  •  52 views
  •  1 support
  •  8 comments

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager
07/24/2020 at 12:00 AM

Good advisor

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager

Last activity on 08/08/2022 at 11:09 AM

Joined in 2020


1,334 comments posted | 6 in the Living with Acromegaly group

6 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Explorer

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hello everyone,

How are you today? emoticon cute

I thought I would open this discussion so we can talk about body image.

Have you noticed any changes to your body caused by your acromegaly? How do you feel about these changes? How to you cope with it?

Take care,
Courtney

Follow

Other groups...

Carenity News
Feedback for Carenity
Fun and games
General Topics
Good to know
Health and Medical News
How to use Carenity
Let's talk about COVID-19
Life beyond illness
The Holiday Season
Youth patients with chronic conditions

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

All comments

avatar SpencerJohnston

SpencerJohnston

07/26/2020 at 4:35 PM

avatar SpencerJohnston

SpencerJohnston

Last activity on 02/06/2026 at 1:53 AM

Joined in 2020


5 comments posted | 4 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hi my name is Carole  and I've just joined ,just curious as my husband has all the traits for acremology  and his Pituitary gland is of an abnormal shape but for the past 8 years every test is normal,and apparently the specialist has said come back in 4 years for another test .But these past few weeks I've been checking his blood as I'm a diabetic,  and his results have not been under 14.07 highest 20.01 his feet have grown over these past 8 years from an 11 to a 16 he is 6ft 5 and when he was 21 he had such a growth spurt that he had to have surgery on his nose because his bones grew so quickly, he has been admitted  to hospital with severe headaches last year and his facial features have changed dramatically  .His teeth have fallen out, His dentist cannot fit dentures because his jaw keeps changing and protruding  outwards , he snores so loudly we sleep separately,  he sleeps visiting friends and family anywhere we go basically.  His eyesight is bad , he has hard skin on his face and badly on his hands . His hands are much bigger so is his nose and he has put on about 5 stone over the last six months around his torso , he has fatty lumps around his body and a big lump at the bottom of his back and neck , doctors have said his got crumbling disks and arthritis  in his spine , our 2 nieces age 3 and 7 said they dont like visiting because uncle Spencer  looks scary and he has scary eyes, which really got him down .as he said kids tell the truth. He is moody and his voice is very loud he has been sweating badly under his armpits and sleeping more, sexually its non existent ,myself and our 3 children are so worried as he said he cannot take much more , he is sick and tired of going to our doctors , being referred and normal diagnosis,  Kings hospital  said do not send him back , as my husband got angry with the endocrinologist because the specialist  was yawning whilst my husband was explaining  his symptoms  , my husband thought he was very rude , ignorant and unsympathetic.  His been living like this 8 years now and some symptoms have become worse over the last 6 months , he is more forgetful  and gets a bit confused  , he is in a terrible state  and we just dont have anywhere  to turn to for help , as anyone else experienced this ? Please  help any advice would be really appreciated  kind regards Mrs Carole  Johnston 


Acromegaly and body image https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/acromegaly-and-body-image-2253 2020-07-26 16:35:05

avatar SpencerJohnston

SpencerJohnston

07/26/2020 at 4:38 PM

avatar SpencerJohnston

SpencerJohnston

Last activity on 02/06/2026 at 1:53 AM

Joined in 2020


5 comments posted | 4 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Sorry my husband is 53 


Acromegaly and body image https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/acromegaly-and-body-image-2253 2020-07-26 16:38:35

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

08/06/2020 at 2:47 PM

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

Last activity on 11/16/2025 at 9:11 PM

Joined in 2020


10 comments posted | 9 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hi Carole,
I am going through something similar. I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor three years ago after so many years having high prolactin levels. In 2018 my IGF-1 was high but my doctor didn’t do anything about it. At that moment I was just complaining of puffy face . Then since last year my body has changed a lot and I absolutely can relate to all what your husband is going through. I have all those symptoms and of course don’t look like myself anymore.

I live in Canada, in small province, but I am trying to get to a hospital in Toronto where there is an amazing team led by Dr Sheeren Ezzat and his wife who is a pathologist.  I also talked to an specialist from the States during a webinar, her name is Maria Fleseiru and she said that if I have a pituitary adenoma and those symptoms there is a possibility that I have some sort of silent acromegaly . She explain that sometimes due to genetic characteristics the high levels of GH and IGf -1 are not carry in the blood or doesn’t show in blood test .

So, my advice to you is to look and specialized pituitary center  and no just a regular endocrinologist because no all of them understand this condition in deep way. 

I am glad I found this site and a case similar to mine, because I have reached out to different groups on the web and I have not been accepted because I am not diagnosed yet. 


Acromegaly and body image https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/acromegaly-and-body-image-2253 2020-08-06 14:47:57

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager
08/06/2020 at 3:15 PM

Good advisor

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager

Last activity on 08/08/2022 at 11:09 AM

Joined in 2020


1,334 comments posted | 6 in the Living with Acromegaly group

6 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Explorer

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@SpencerJohnston @Lirio15 Hello Carole and Lirio15, thank you both for sharing your stories with us. We've just published an article that I think you may find helpful, I'll share the link here:

Acromegaly, Cushing's Disease... Learn More about Pituitary Neuroendocrine Tumors!

Feel free to take a look and let us know what you think either here or in the comments below the article!

Take care,
Courtney

 

See the signature

Courtney_J, Community Manager, Carenity US


Acromegaly and body image https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/acromegaly-and-body-image-2253 2020-08-06 15:15:42

avatar SpencerJohnston

SpencerJohnston

08/06/2020 at 7:47 PM

avatar SpencerJohnston

SpencerJohnston

Last activity on 02/06/2026 at 1:53 AM

Joined in 2020


5 comments posted | 4 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

 Thank you 


Acromegaly and body image https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/acromegaly-and-body-image-2253 2020-08-06 19:47:04

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

08/06/2020 at 9:27 PM

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

Last activity on 11/16/2025 at 9:11 PM

Joined in 2020


10 comments posted | 9 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Thank you, Courtney, much appreciate it. 


Acromegaly and body image https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/acromegaly-and-body-image-2253 2020-08-06 21:27:55

avatar Cora52

Cora52

10/14/2020 at 10:13 PM

avatar Cora52

Cora52

Last activity on 12/11/2020 at 6:03 PM

Joined in 2020


9 comments posted | 7 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@SpencerJohnston That's awful that the specialist treated you that way! That's unconscionable! I hope you complained to someone because that's really not right. I agree with what Lirio15 said, I'd look into trying to find a center that's knowledgeable in pituitary conditions and definitely get a second opinion. If your husband ticks all the boxes for acromegaly it's hard to think that it's not it. In any case it sounds like he's going through a lot and a doctor needs to take the time to listen to him and get to the bottom of it!


Acromegaly and body image https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/acromegaly-and-body-image-2253 2020-10-14 22:13:28

avatar Meandsofi

Meandsofi

11/09/2020 at 9:24 PM

avatar Meandsofi

Meandsofi

Last activity on 12/12/2021 at 5:40 PM

Joined in 2020


4 comments posted | 3 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@SpencerJohnston @SpencerJohnston 

Hi Carole, it sounds like your husband has so many acromegaly symptoms. I had it for 23 years before being diagnosed. Please be persistent and seek out an expert.  My feet and hands grew. I had bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. My face changed, I gained weight, I sweated more and it smelled different. I was heat intolerant and emotionally intolerant (I was irritable☹️). My lower spine was, and still is, very painful. I became diabetic. I had to have a pacemaker implant and half of my thyroid removed. I had previously been extremely healthy and active. Even now that I had surgery 7 years ago I still suffer many leftover symptoms including increasing arthritis in my spine, elbow and both knee joints. It is a difficult disease, most doctor know nothing about it and seem not to care. When you visit a doctor bring a before picture of your husband's face. Again, be persistent. The sooner diagnosed the better. Good luck.

 

See the signature

Carolyn and Sofi


Acromegaly and body image https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/acromegaly-and-body-image-2253 2020-11-09 21:24:25

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

Articles to discover...

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

09/24/2026 | News

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

Caregiver burnout: When caring for someone else leaves no room for yourself

09/07/2026 | Advice

Caregiver burnout: When caring for someone else leaves no room for yourself

Why does physical activity have a positive effect on mental health?

08/29/2026 | News

Why does physical activity have a positive effect on mental health?

Weight gain without eating more: What's really going on?

08/22/2026 | News

Weight gain without eating more: What's really going on?

Cigarettes VS e-cigarettes: an update on the consumption and pitfalls to avoid

02/20/2019 | Advice

Cigarettes VS e-cigarettes: an update on the consumption and pitfalls to avoid

Telemedicine: Remote examinations and operations are here!

03/11/2019 | News

Telemedicine: Remote examinations and operations are here!

Chronic fatigue: patients' experiences and solutions

04/15/2019 | Advice

Chronic fatigue: patients' experiences and solutions

Love life in the face of illness: how to cope?

02/14/2019 | Advice

Love life in the face of illness: how to cope?

icon cross

Does this topic interest you?

Join the 500 000 patients registered on our platform, get information on your condition or on that of your family member, and discuss it with the community

Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now!

It’s free and confidential

Subscribe

You wish to be notified of new comments

 

You have been subscribed

Join now! Log in

About

  • About us
  • Why share your data?
  • The Carenity team
  • The ambassadors
  • Partner associations
  • Contributors
  • The Science and Ethics Committee
  • Our scientific publications
  • Our commitments
  • Certifications and awards
  • Carenity in the news
  • Editorial policy
  • Code of conduct
  • Legal notice
  • Terms of use
  • Cookie management
  • Contact
  • Carenity for professionals

Quick access

  • Health magazine
  • Search a forum
  • Learn about a condition
  • See medication reviews
  • List of forums (A-Z)
  • List of condition info sheets (A-Z)
  • List of medication fact sheets (A-Z)
  • Language flag fr flag en flag de flag es flag it

The www.carenity.us website does not constitute or replace professional medical advice.