What are some of the common misconceptions you hear about your condition?

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

4 replies

Topic of the discussion

• Community manager
Posted on

Hello everyone,

How are you today? emoticon cute

Are there any things, misconceptions or false beliefs that you hear regularly about your condition? If so, how do you react to them?

Feel free to share and exchange in the comments below!

Take care,
Courtney

Beginning of the discussion - 7/6/21

Posted on

@Courtney_J As someone with COPD I've heard that it's our own fault we have COPD and that we've brought it on ourselves. But what a lot of people don't realize is that you can get COPD without having been a smoker. I know a more than a few people who have it from years working in dust and fumes and not necessarily because they were lifelong smokers. I try not to react because most often it's what the person wants or is looking for. I know I don't deserve this. No one deserves to be sick or brings it on themselves.

Posted on

That this is a manageable disease and that you can live a relatively normal life. When in fact, it is a hard life and there is no normalcy with this disease. You are pretty much just waiting to die and have no quality of life.

Posted on

People say I deserve my pain because I don't settle down I'm always doing something..all I know is when I'm not doing something my other pain sets in(depression, PTSD,) I rather have deal with different pains then others

Posted on

I've had people say they were shocked I wasn't in a wheelchair when they met me for the first time, because apparently everyone with MS is in a wheelchair 🙄