Slow Cooker Chicken and Salsa
Published May 3, 2018
Category : Low-sodium
Type : Main course
Difficulty : Intermediate
Directions : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 300 minutes
Price range : Just right
Ingredients 6 Number of people
1. 1 sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
2. 1 (20 ounce) jar salsa
3. 1 (5 pound) whole chicken
1. Spread onion rings into the bottom of a slow cooker crock.
2. Place chicken onto onion layer with breast-side facing down.
3. Pour salsa over the chicken.
4. Cook on High until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 5 hours.
5. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
6. Remove the chicken from slow cooker, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes before cutting.
Per Serving: 534 calories; 28.4 g fat; 8.3 g carbohydrates; 58.8 g protein; 228 mg cholesterol; 729 mg sodium.