Logo Carenity
Logo Carenity
Join now! Log in
flag us
flag fr flag en flag es flag de flag it
Home

Forums

Latest discussions
General discussions
See all - Forum index from A to Z

Medications

Medications fact sheet
See all - Medication index from A to Z

Surveys

Ongoing surveys
The results of the surveys

Magazine

Our featured pieces
News
Testimonials
Nutrition
Advice
Procedures & paperwork

Conditions

Fact sheets
See all - Disease index from A to Z

About

About us
Why share your data?
The Carenity team
The ambassadors
Partner associations
Contributors
The Science and Ethics Committee
Our scientific publications
Our commitments
Certifications and awards
Carenity in the news
Editorial policy
Code of conduct and privacy policy
Legal notice
Terms of use
Cookie management
Contact
Carenity for professionals

Join now! Log in
  • Forums

    • Latest discussions
    • General discussions
    • See all - Forum index from A to Z
  • Medications

    • Medications fact sheet
    • See all - Medication index from A to Z
  • Surveys

    • Ongoing surveys
    • The results of the surveys
  • Magazine

    • Our featured pieces
    • News
    • Testimonials
    • Nutrition
    • Advice
    • Procedures & paperwork
  • Conditions

    • Fact sheets
    • See all - Disease index from A to Z
  • Home
  • Forums
  • General forums
  • Living with Acromegaly
  • How does acromegaly impact your daily life?
 Back
Living with Acromegaly

How does acromegaly impact your daily life?

  •  189 views
  •  4 times supported
  •  16 comments

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager
07/22/2020 at 12:00 AM

Good advisor

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager

Last activity on 08/08/2022 at 11:09 AM

Joined in 2020


1,334 comments posted | 6 in the Living with Acromegaly group

6 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Explorer

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hello everyone,

How are you doing? emoticon cute

Let's talk about acromegaly and daily life!

How does acromegaly impact your daily life? Do any of the symptoms make it difficult to complete daily tasks? Have you had to change your schedules or routines or the way you do things? How do you handle it in the day-to-day?

Feel free to share your experiences and advice, we're all here to help one another!

Take care,
Courtney

Follow

Other groups...

Carenity News
Feedback for Carenity
Fun and games
General Topics
Good to know
Health and Medical News
How to use Carenity
Let's talk about COVID-19
Life beyond illness
The Holiday Season
Youth patients with chronic conditions

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

All comments

Go to the last comment

avatar Cora52

Cora52

07/23/2020 at 6:38 PM

avatar Cora52

Cora52

Last activity on 12/11/2020 at 6:03 PM

Joined in 2020


9 comments posted | 7 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@Courtney_J Hi, I think the thing that is really debilitating to me is the headaches. Sometimes they feel like my head is splitting open. When I feel one is coming on I know my day is over. It's had an impact on my work life I guess because I have to call in sick or leave early, which is clearly not appreciated. My doctor recently started me on some medication for it, but it takes a few weeks to kick in, so I'm excited for that to happen.

I guess also since my hands have gotten bigger, I've also been having carpal-tunnel like issues. It makes it really had to do things with my hands, so basically everything. I wear splints at night to keep my wrists straight and then during the day I try to not do too many repetitive tasks like typing, which is really hard to do when working.


How does acromegaly impact your daily life? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/how-does-acromegaly-impact-your-daily-life-2249 2020-07-23 18:38:02

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

08/06/2020 at 9:42 PM

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

Last activity on 11/16/2025 at 9:11 PM

Joined in 2020


10 comments posted | 9 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hello Cora,

I can certainly relate to how you are feeling. Today, I went to a jewelry store and was very surprised at how much thicker my fingers are now. I went from size 6 to 7 3/4 and my hands look so deformed that I just gave up on getting a ring. 
I have been out of work for almost a year now. I just can't function properly, can’t focus. 

Hoping to find a solution to this situation. 

Best regards 


How does acromegaly impact your daily life? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/how-does-acromegaly-impact-your-daily-life-2249 2020-08-06 21:42:03

avatar Cora52

Cora52

Edited on 08/07/2020 at 4:53 PM

avatar Cora52

Cora52

Last activity on 12/11/2020 at 6:03 PM

Joined in 2020


9 comments posted | 7 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@Lirio15‍ Isn't it devastating? I used to never take my wedding and engagement rings off and I ended up having to get them cut off because they were cutting off circulation. I cried and cried. I know it's just a ring, but it means so much and not being able to wear it anymore is sad to me. I'm hoping to having surgery soon and that it'll help. What point are you at in your treatment?


How does acromegaly impact your daily life? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/how-does-acromegaly-impact-your-daily-life-2249 2020-08-07 16:52:47

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

08/09/2020 at 1:04 AM

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

Last activity on 11/16/2025 at 9:11 PM

Joined in 2020


10 comments posted | 9 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Yes, Cora, it’s very devastating. Sometimes is not a matter of being superfluous but there are little thing that are very significant to us . And as women, is so hard to embrace those facial changes. I was just looking at pictures of myself from two years ago; the difference is unbelievable. Today, I a started having and awful pain on my finger joints , feels like having needles stuck on it.

I, unfortunately, haven't been diagnosed yet. My bloodworks are in the normal range but my body says otherwise. So, I am in a  struggle point, very hopeless because i am getting worse as days go.

I am glad that you are going for surgery. I had talked to a few people that have had it done and have seen significant improvements in days. 


How does acromegaly impact your daily life? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/how-does-acromegaly-impact-your-daily-life-2249 2020-08-09 01:04:21

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

Edited on 08/12/2020 at 12:22 PM

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

Last activity on 11/16/2025 at 9:11 PM

Joined in 2020


10 comments posted | 9 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

The picture from 2020 was taken last Monday. I sent it to an endocrinologist and he says that I don't have acromegaly features. So, I am kind of confused now.  Does anybody relate to changes similar to mine?


How does acromegaly impact your daily life? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/how-does-acromegaly-impact-your-daily-life-2249 2020-08-09 01:05:25
avatar exit

Unregistered member

08/11/2020 at 1:13 AM

@Courtney_J Hi there! I’m new to this site but came across it when I typed in support groups for acromegaly. I was diagnosed with it December 2018. I’m in a whirlwind of emotion still to this day because I don’t have a grasp on it. With my doctors, I feel like we’re still guessing & still trying to find what works best. My acromegaly came from a tumor on my pituitary gland. I’ve had 2 surgeries to remove the tumor but it still remains in there to this day. With acromegaly, my face, body, hands, jaw & feet have all changed. I’ve gone up a full shoe size, 2 ring sizes, & my jaw is getting wider. I’ve also gained 75 pounds since I’ve been diagnosed. But I’m guessing that’s from the stress & depression. I just want to get this under control. It’s very frustrating. 


How does acromegaly impact your daily life? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/how-does-acromegaly-impact-your-daily-life-2249 2020-08-11 01:13:01

avatar Cora52

Cora52

08/13/2020 at 3:18 PM

avatar Cora52

Cora52

Last activity on 12/11/2020 at 6:03 PM

Joined in 2020


9 comments posted | 7 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@Lirio15 Ah I seemed to have missed the picture, but if you can see noticeable changes to your face then it sounds like acromegaly. Have you thought about getting a second opinion? 

@PaigeT. Yes, I feel the same way! The medicines they've put me on haven't done anything so I'm hoping that I can get surgery because I've heard that for some people it is life-changing! My jaw, lips and nose have gotten bigger too. I hope that more research is being done and awareness is being raised in the medical community for this, there has got to be a better way to treat this!


How does acromegaly impact your daily life? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/how-does-acromegaly-impact-your-daily-life-2249 2020-08-13 15:18:33

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

Edited on 09/10/2020 at 9:58 PM

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

Last activity on 11/16/2025 at 9:11 PM

Joined in 2020


10 comments posted | 9 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hi,

Yes, medicine is not the first option when treating Acromegaly according to doctors. Usually, their first option is surgery and then, medicine if need it.

I hope you get your surgery soon because this condition certainly drains your energy, spirit, the whole you. And when untreated and undiagnosed,  can become very frustrating and scary.

Surgery is the first step to hope. 

Here are my pictures.

 


How does acromegaly impact your daily life? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/how-does-acromegaly-impact-your-daily-life-2249 2020-08-15 14:42:19

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

08/15/2020 at 3:11 PM

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

Last activity on 11/16/2025 at 9:11 PM

Joined in 2020


10 comments posted | 9 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@PaigeT. 

Paige, I know a girl who had to go for a third surgery.  For the third one, she sought a different neurosurgeon, someone very skilled in that field. She says that it was the best surgery she’s had and is feeling way better. 

This girl had a very advance Acromegaly. Her height is 6 feet something. But thanks to the grace of God and the good surgeon she is having a better quality of life.

So, in my opinion, the roller coaster here, is getting diagnosed and the proper treatment. If that is done in time and properly, there is hope to having a better quality of life.

Have a good weekend everyone ☀️


How does acromegaly impact your daily life? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/how-does-acromegaly-impact-your-daily-life-2249 2020-08-15 15:11:18

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

09/10/2020 at 10:03 PM

avatar Lirio15

Lirio15

Last activity on 11/16/2025 at 9:11 PM

Joined in 2020


10 comments posted | 9 in the Living with Acromegaly group


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hi everyone,

There is going to be a webinar today  about Acromegaly and  Covid from the Barrow Pituitary Center  in Arizona, USA. Is going to take place at 7pm Eastern time .So , within 2 hours from now . 

Here is the link:

https://www.acromegalycommunity.org/events/webinar


How does acromegaly impact your daily life? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/living-with-acromegaly/how-does-acromegaly-impact-your-daily-life-2249 2020-09-10 22:03:54
  • 1
  • 2

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

Articles to discover...

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

09/24/2026 | News

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

Caregiver burnout: When caring for someone else leaves no room for yourself

09/07/2026 | Advice

Caregiver burnout: When caring for someone else leaves no room for yourself

Why does physical activity have a positive effect on mental health?

08/29/2026 | News

Why does physical activity have a positive effect on mental health?

Weight gain without eating more: What's really going on?

08/22/2026 | News

Weight gain without eating more: What's really going on?

Cigarettes VS e-cigarettes: an update on the consumption and pitfalls to avoid

02/20/2019 | Advice

Cigarettes VS e-cigarettes: an update on the consumption and pitfalls to avoid

Telemedicine: Remote examinations and operations are here!

03/11/2019 | News

Telemedicine: Remote examinations and operations are here!

Chronic fatigue: patients' experiences and solutions

04/15/2019 | Advice

Chronic fatigue: patients' experiences and solutions

Love life in the face of illness: how to cope?

02/14/2019 | Advice

Love life in the face of illness: how to cope?

icon cross

Does this topic interest you?

Join the 500 000 patients registered on our platform, get information on your condition or on that of your family member, and discuss it with the community

Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now!

It’s free and confidential

Subscribe

You wish to be notified of new comments

 

You have been subscribed

Join now! Log in

About

  • About us
  • Why share your data?
  • The Carenity team
  • The ambassadors
  • Partner associations
  • Contributors
  • The Science and Ethics Committee
  • Our scientific publications
  • Our commitments
  • Certifications and awards
  • Carenity in the news
  • Editorial policy
  • Code of conduct
  • Legal notice
  • Terms of use
  • Cookie management
  • Contact
  • Carenity for professionals

Quick access

  • Health magazine
  • Search a forum
  • Learn about a condition
  • See medication reviews
  • List of forums (A-Z)
  • List of condition info sheets (A-Z)
  • List of medication fact sheets (A-Z)
  • Language flag fr flag en flag de flag es flag it

The www.carenity.us website does not constitute or replace professional medical advice.