DYK: Cigarette Butts Are The Greatest Source Of Ocean Trash

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

1 reply

Topic of the discussion

• Community manager
Posted on

According to a recent article by NBC NEWS, there have been recently huge aims to reduce or eliminate large sources of ocean pollution, such as plastic bags and plastic straws. More than a dozen coastal cities have prohibited plastic straws this year.

However, the greatest source of pollution in the ocean is cigarette butts. The majority of the trillions of cigarettes manufactured in the world have filters constructed out of cellulose acetate, which is a form of plastic and can take a decade or more to decompose. 

For 32 years in a row, "cigar rete butts have been the single most collected item in the world's beaches, with a total of more than 60 million collected over that time" according to the Ocean Conservancy.

Greenbutts, a San Diego company, says it has developed an organic material filter cigarette butt. The butt is supposed quickly break down in soil or water.

What else can we do to reduce the pollution of not only the ocean, but the environment as a whole of cigarette butts? What do you think of the possibility of an organic material filter cigarette butt?

Beginning of the discussion - 9/8/18

DYK: Cigarette Butts Are The Greatest Source Of Ocean Trash

Posted on

Does not surprise me unfortunately... I see cigarette butts everywhere. I think if they can manufacture an organic dissolvable butt that would not harm the environment that would be a win-win. However, until then, we should start enforcing the litter laws in relation to cigarette butts. Very sad that the ocean life is being affected the way it is... have you seen the news about the red tide in Florida? Anyone?