Feeling heartbreak and overwhelmed as my husband has MS - anyone?

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/multiple-sclerosis.jpg

Patients Multiple sclerosis

9 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity
Posted on

Is anyone also facing heartbreak while caring for your spouse who has MS?  I am and I am overwhelmed to the point of not knowing how to help myself while helping my husband cope.  I work full time.  I need to know others feel as I do.  I’d like to be able to share my heart, compare notes and work through the MS maze together.  Please contact me

Beginning of the discussion - 6/24/19

Member Carenity
Posted on

Hang in there with him,my wife of 37 years of marriage and 23 years of that has been dealing with me and my MS and are many struggles we have had to go through with this decease that I have know idea came from none of my family has it thank god I have two brothers and two sisters and two sons and I am the only one I do not understand I am now in a wheelchair most of the time at 58 years old. So if you love him I am sure you guys will be okay, I love my wife so much for understanding my condition.

Member Carenity
Posted on

My husband is 60 and uses a scooter.  He has days where is just tired, achy and over done himself.  Hanging in there difficult and when you have no one to come over and talk to my husband... his days are long and lonely.  I love him and I’m sure you live your wife, but stress enters is the most unusual ways.  Remind her to take time for herself and I am always available to chat.  Take care, Alwayshim

Member Carenity
Posted on

Can I talk to your husband because I am the same way we moved to help my son and his kids to a new state and I have family to talk too but no friends I also talk on the computer on a simulated Ham radio called hamshere.com and talk to people all over the world my handle is 2HS8700 it is a lot of fun

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username Hi. I am no longer married, but I am back with my ex who has MS. We got back together and he later got MS. There will be some days that are harder than others. I can't imagine how draining it must be to work full-time, as being a caregiver, wife, emotional support, counselors, etc. is more than a full time job.

Do you have family or friends near by the area you live?

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username  Hang in there , I know love is stronger than anything . important thing is just to remember you;re in it together as a team. best of luck !

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username you are definitely not alone. it is normal to feel overwhelmed and for me i also felt helpless - it is difficult to be dealt with such a difficult thing as a diagnosis of a disease and it impacts not only the person who is diagnosed (though of course ti hits them harder) but also their loved ones. hang in there and remember to be patient with your husband. love and patience will take you far on this journey. 

Member Carenity
Posted on

I know for me, patience, understanding and love went far when I was first diagnosed and my family had to also deal with now having a loved one live with MS. It's not an easy thing but as I said - patience, understanding and love go far/ not everyday will be hard, some days (eventually) you'll find your rhythm. 

Member Carenity
Posted on
Thanks for the reminders how patience d love motivate the day to day but now my body is taking over. I have periods of high anxiety with bouts of depression. I am on anti anxiety meds and see a therapist. Patience is my middle name, I work with and teach children and thoroughly love my job, it’s the perfect escape for me. BUT watching my husband go from vibrant type A to barely moving, and all the rest that goes with MS has taken its toll on my body. It’s like my body is taking over my suppressed reality. Enough of that, I think I need my meds adjusted and hopefully my appointment this Tuesday will help... she is a great dr and is very thorough. 20+ years
Member Carenity • Community manager
Posted on

Hi @Hidden username‍ 

For how long has your husband been diagnosed with MS? How has his progression been... was it somewhat abrupt?

Do you find yourself most anxious, depressed, and overwhelmed do you feel from not taking care of yourself/helping yourself or from helping your husband/seeing the struggles he is going through? Maybe identifying what is causing you the most concern will help you target the treatments/help you could get to manage that area of concern?

Also, not sure if you saw, but @Hidden username‍ had asked if he could speak to your husband. I am not sure if you noticed that... so just a friendly notification of that as perhaps, since both of yours situations are similar, it may be beneficial.