Permanant teeth had to be removed before I could start Chemotherapy

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/cancer.jpg

Patients Cancer

1 reply

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

I hadn't been to a dentist in maybe 5 yrs (I'm ashamed to admit that to you). I don't understand what made me call for a teeth cleaning but I did. I was to start radiation & chemotherapy together in two weeks. After X-rays we are done the dentist informed me that root of my front tooth was broken in half! " How the hell did I do that"? I was in shock litterly. Then the dentist told me until that tooth came out and I was completely healed I couldn't have any chemo. I was told if I had chemo anyway that it would cause a severe infection in my jaws that would likely eat my jaw bones away and could kill me. My Oncologist called my dentist and he was correct in what he said. I just had my front tooth removed and am to start Chemo the 15th I believe. If I hadn't of went to the dentist I would of never knew about my tooth and went ahead with chemo? I could of died! Makes me wonder why our doctors don't make having a check up by our dentist mandatory before we can start treatment to be safe? I would recommend anyone with cancer that has real teeth left to get checked to be safe. Now I have a tooth missing in the front and after Chemo I'll be bald so cancer is slowly turning me very very ugly and Scarry looking, it's not fair is it?

Alyce Thorning

Beginning of the discussion - 1/4/19

Permanant teeth had to be removed before I could start Chemotherapy

Posted on

Yes ... I had to have some dental work done before I start my treatments on Jan.7th. ..I had a root canal and a crown ...

Most commented discussions