Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
Published Dec 17, 2020
Category : Other
Type : Dessert
Difficulty : Beginner
Directions : 90 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Price range : Cheap
Ingredients 50 Number of people
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
½ cup coconut oil, at room temperature (not liquid)
½ cup sugar
½ cup molasses (not blackstrap)
¼ cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Cream coconut oil and sugar together with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light. Add molasses, water and vanilla and beat until mixed thoroughly. Gradually add the flour mixture, beating at low speed until just combined.
3. Divide the dough into thirds. Place one third of the dough on a 12-inch-long sheet of parchment paper and shape into a disk. Top with a second sheet of parchment. Roll out the dough between the parchment to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Place the parchment with the rolled dough on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, stacking each piece of parchment with rolled dough on top of the previous one. Freeze on the baking sheet until cold and firm, at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
4. To shape and bake cookies: Position a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 2 or 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Working with one portion of dough at a time, remove from the freezer. Remove the top sheet of parchment and cut out cookies with 2 1/2- to 3-inch cookie cutters. Transfer the cookies to a prepared baking sheet with a wide, thin spatula, spacing them about 1 1/2 inches apart. Repeat with the remaining dough. (If the dough gets too soft, freeze until firm again.) As you cut out cookies, set aside the scraps. Shape all the scraps back into a disk and reroll between parchment. Freeze for at least 30 minutes before cutting out.
6. Bake, one baking sheet at a time, until cookies are browned around the edges and somewhat firm in the center, about 10 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Decorate as desired.
To make ahead: Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Source: EatingWell.com, October 2018
You will also like
Spiced carrot cake with ricotta icing
Dec 14, 2021
Diabetes-friendly low-carb cheesecake
Sep 30, 2021
Slow-Cooker Sausage & Apple Stuffing
Dec 17, 2020
3-Ingredient Cream Cheese & Cherry Pepper Bites
Dec 17, 2020