Logo Carenity
Logo Carenity
Join now! Log in
flag us
flag fr flag en flag es flag de flag it
Home

Forums

Latest discussions
General discussions
See all - Forum index from A to Z

Medications

Medications fact sheet
See all - Medication index from A to Z

Surveys

Ongoing surveys
The results of the surveys

Magazine

Our featured pieces
News
Testimonials
Nutrition
Advice
Procedures & paperwork

Conditions

Fact sheets
See all - Disease index from A to Z

About

About us
Why share your data?
The Carenity team
The ambassadors
Partner associations
Contributors
The Science and Ethics Committee
Our scientific publications
Our commitments
Certifications and awards
Carenity in the news
Editorial policy
Code of conduct and privacy policy
Legal notice
Terms of use
Cookie management
Contact
Carenity for professionals

Join now! Log in
  • Forums

    • Latest discussions
    • General discussions
    • See all - Forum index from A to Z
  • Medications

    • Medications fact sheet
    • See all - Medication index from A to Z
  • Surveys

    • Ongoing surveys
    • The results of the surveys
  • Magazine

    • Our featured pieces
    • News
    • Testimonials
    • Nutrition
    • Advice
    • Procedures & paperwork
  • Conditions

    • Fact sheets
    • See all - Disease index from A to Z
  • Home
  • Forums
  • General forums
  • Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses
  • What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider?
 Back
Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses

What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider?

  •  89 views
  •  3 times supported
  •  10 comments

avatar Lee__R

Lee__R

Community manager
03/04/2019 at 4:15 AM

Good advisor

avatar Lee__R

Lee__R

Community manager

Last activity on 04/03/2020 at 5:04 PM

Joined in 2018


1,336 comments posted | 88 in the Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses group

2 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Explorer

  • Friend

  • Top chef


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hey members,

Through reading through many of the discussions, it is apparent that one of the most common, and most troubling, occurrences is the lack of finding a good doctor: one that cares, listens, and communicates effectively.

As with every condition, the quality and care of your health by your medical provider is of utmost importance. 

Please join us and share your experiences and opinions on what you think about your psychiatrist or mental health provider and what qualities and characteristics you feel make up a "good" mental health provider?

 

For example:

Did (Does) he/she explain well, and talk to you about, your initial diagnosis, prognosis, potential symptoms, triggers, etc. regarding your mental health condition?

Did / Does he/she take time to discuss with you about medications, treatment options, etc.?

Did / Does he/she talk to you about activities and alternative methods to cope with the condition?

Did / Does he/she value and listen to your opinions/concerns and address your questions regarding your diagnosis, life with your diagnosis, etc?

Did / Does he/she respond quickly to your calls / emails? Do you feel you can reach out to them anytime if you are going through a difficult period?

What qualities and characteristics do you feel make up a "good" psychiatrist or mental health provider?

 

Share your thoughts on your mental health provider and the team. Feel free to mention the hospital, doctor, and/or location because your experience and opinion can help others.

Follow

Other groups...

Carenity News
Feedback for Carenity
Fun and games
General Topics
Good to know
Health and Medical News
How to use Carenity
Let's talk about COVID-19
Life beyond illness
The Holiday Season
Youth patients with chronic conditions

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

All comments

avatar UnschathedSpade7

UnschathedSpade7

03/04/2019 at 7:20 PM

Good advisor

avatar UnschathedSpade7

UnschathedSpade7

Last activity on 11/08/2022 at 10:18 PM

Joined in 2018


31 comments posted | 9 in the Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses group


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Explorer

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

My attitude towards my psychiatrist has improved a lot over the past couple of years all though technically I see a nurse practitioner.  When I moved to he Plattsburgh area from Troy, NY the place that I go for care was in a very difficult way and was struggling to keep a full-time psychiatrist.  As a result of that I was never seeing the same person twice   It was a very frustrating experience not to be able to build any kind or relationship with my doctor, because it was always a new doctor.  Constantly starting from scratch I would go to this place 4 times a year to play 20 questions with someone new and they were always the same questions, like the guy could not be bothered to read a case file.  When were you first hospitalized? When were you diagnosed? Do you drink? Do you smoke marijuana? Do you drive yourself? Any family in the area?  The worst part of it was that I felt I was constantly fighting to stay on the same medications, as it seemed every doctor wanted to try something new or at least something different.  The medications I was taking were not working great but I was functional, my life was liveable.  I am not sure that I would be able to live as well on powerful drugs like Risperdal, or Invega.  In fact I am pretty sure I can't.  I demanded to see the nurse practitioner so that I could at least see the same person every visit.  And the eventually granted my request.  My medications have improved slightly and I still function well.  If something is wrong, than yes I can discuss it with him and he listens well.  Got me on something new, called Vraylar.

See the signature

Jeffrey Butz


What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/depression-treatments-and-medicine/what-do-you-think-about-your-psychiatrist-counselor-mental-health-provider-812 2019-03-04 19:20:16

avatar whatistheissue

whatistheissue

03/11/2019 at 1:13 AM

Good advisor

avatar whatistheissue

whatistheissue

Last activity on 08/17/2023 at 12:26 AM

Joined in 2018


85 comments posted | 38 in the Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses group

2 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@UnschathedSpade7 I absolutely hear your frustration when switching doctors or going / trying out a new one. I hate having to relive everything when choosing to see a different doctor, but I understand it is part of that choice, but having to do it out of not "wanting to," but because they cant keep a doctor is worse frustration.

I am glad you have found luck with a nurse practictioner.

I just moved and have an appointment with a doctor on March 21 - new doctor, so we will see. I am hoping to try a different medication because Lexapro is not working and it makes me drowsy, so hopefully she has some better recommendation. My previous psychiatrist office I too was seeing a nruse practitioner. She was nice and good and quick, but she talked about her self a lot and her life and great things she was doing ... Any question she asked me woudl turn into her talking about herself... so that was frustrating to me.


What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/depression-treatments-and-medicine/what-do-you-think-about-your-psychiatrist-counselor-mental-health-provider-812 2019-03-11 01:13:16

avatar UnschathedSpade7

UnschathedSpade7

03/13/2019 at 1:25 PM

Good advisor

avatar UnschathedSpade7

UnschathedSpade7

Last activity on 11/08/2022 at 10:18 PM

Joined in 2018


31 comments posted | 9 in the Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses group


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Explorer

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

whatistheissue yes I can see how frustrating that would be to see a professional that focuses on herself rather than the patient.  Like hearing about how great her life is treating her is helpful to you somehow.  You are the patient and the focus should be on you.  Some people are like that and try to make everything about themselves, but I never had a healthcare professional behave in such a self-centered way towards me.  Lexapro I tried a long time ago and can't remember why I stopped taking it.  When I see a doctor a or a practitioner I typically just want my scripts refilled and really do not look to them to solve any of my problems.  I have been doing this a long time and don't really expect them to do such.  As long as my medications are sorted out that is all I really go there for.

See the signature

Jeffrey Butz


What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/depression-treatments-and-medicine/what-do-you-think-about-your-psychiatrist-counselor-mental-health-provider-812 2019-03-13 13:25:21

avatar rcc0088

rcc0088

03/15/2019 at 12:32 AM

avatar rcc0088

rcc0088

Last activity on 12/18/2023 at 8:00 AM

Joined in 2019


10 comments posted | 1 in the Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses group

1 of their responses was helpful to members


Rewards

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@UnschathedSpade7 what do you take now? I saw the medicine you took but it seems to be more for bipolar/schizophrenia. Do you take anything else for the depression aspect?

I too take lexapro but looking to change to something stronger or better. 


What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/depression-treatments-and-medicine/what-do-you-think-about-your-psychiatrist-counselor-mental-health-provider-812 2019-03-15 00:32:36
avatar exit

Unregistered member

03/15/2019 at 5:28 PM

I have a great team working with me now.  My psychiatrist handles my meds and let's me see him weekly.  Sometimes I have questions, concerns etc and he answers them.  My psychologist works with me on therapy.  She's awesome but sometimes she does take some of my time telling me things.  It actually is funny to know she has problems like we do.  She tells how she handles things and says there's nothing wrong with it.  I see her weekly also.  Sometime soon she's gonna retire and I have panic attacks, fear of abandonment issues she actually made a decision not to retire this year.  She also gave me her cell number, I never call her, probably could if I was in crisis but, she lets me text her anything anytime.  She may not respond but I know she's read them prior to our next visit.

 


What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/depression-treatments-and-medicine/what-do-you-think-about-your-psychiatrist-counselor-mental-health-provider-812 2019-03-15 17:28:43

avatar UnschathedSpade7

UnschathedSpade7

03/22/2019 at 2:32 AM

Good advisor

avatar UnschathedSpade7

UnschathedSpade7

Last activity on 11/08/2022 at 10:18 PM

Joined in 2018


31 comments posted | 9 in the Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses group


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Explorer

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

rcc0088 I take about 16 milligrams of perphenazine and have a few sample packets of a new drug called Vraylar.  I have schizophrenia yes but as far as I or anyone else can tell I am not depressed.  The few antidepressants that I have tried only made me feel worse, and now I tend to avoid them.  I guess for a paranoid guy I am relatively happy lol.

See the signature

Jeffrey Butz


What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/depression-treatments-and-medicine/what-do-you-think-about-your-psychiatrist-counselor-mental-health-provider-812 2019-03-22 02:32:30

avatar jasmine1092

jasmine1092

03/30/2019 at 1:43 AM

Good advisor

avatar jasmine1092

jasmine1092

Last activity on 11/16/2023 at 1:34 AM

Joined in 2019


155 comments posted | 95 in the Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses group

2 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Explorer

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@tammiorw69 that is amazing that you have a great team.

I have not yet found success with any psychiatrist yet that I trully feel cares about me.


What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/depression-treatments-and-medicine/what-do-you-think-about-your-psychiatrist-counselor-mental-health-provider-812 2019-03-30 01:43:56

avatar depressedme

depressedme

04/25/2019 at 1:59 AM

Good advisor

avatar depressedme

depressedme

Last activity on 01/24/2023 at 2:12 PM

Joined in 2019


74 comments posted | 49 in the Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses group

1 of their responses was helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Explorer

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

@tammiorw69 me too! I recently changed to a different psychiatrist - about 2 weeks ago - and she took the time to listen to me and has made a plan of action for me to slowly get off Lexapro which I have been on for years without ever really feeling a benefit - only more tired - and to being Celexa with later adding Buprotin (not sure about the spelling). She truly listened to me about my complaints which are the depression but in addition to some nerve pain which makes the depression worse. It was so nice to have someone listen to me instead of just sending me out with the same prescription.

I am only about 1 week and 1/2 with taking 1/2 of my final dosage of Celexa and 4 weeks away from adding Buprotin, but I am hopeful for the first time in a long time!


What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/depression-treatments-and-medicine/what-do-you-think-about-your-psychiatrist-counselor-mental-health-provider-812 2019-04-25 01:59:42

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager
02/23/2021 at 9:19 PM

Good advisor

avatar Courtney_J

Courtney_J

Community manager

Last activity on 08/08/2022 at 11:09 AM

Joined in 2020


1,334 comments posted | 134 in the Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses group

6 of their responses were helpful to members


Rewards

  • Good Advisor

  • Contributor

  • Messenger

  • Explorer

  • Friend


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

Hello everyone,

How are you today? Have you seen this older discusssion? emoticon cute

Following our latest article, Psychiatrist vs. Psychologist: What’s the difference and which is right for you?, I thought I would revive this discussion.

Who did you go to for help with your mental health condition? Did you see a psychologist, a psychiatrist, a counselor? What do you think? Do you feel like he or she listens to you and truly understands what you're going through? What do you think makes a good mental health provider?
@StönedPilöt‍ @Eric70‍ @Aprild101‍ @Tlaylor‍ @Talluha‍ @Natesmom15‍ @JeannaE‍ @Bgoble‍ @LilRed69‍ @hismommy1820‍ @irishroses35‍ @JoyFerrell‍ @Natesmom15‍ @acarboni25‍ @Bobba1‍ @CatsPajama5‍‍ @Yomomma‍ @dmaher13492‍ @Purplesloth78‍ 

Feel free to share here!

Take care,
Courtney

See the signature

Courtney_J, Community Manager, Carenity US


What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/depression-treatments-and-medicine/what-do-you-think-about-your-psychiatrist-counselor-mental-health-provider-812 2021-02-23 21:19:25

avatar Teashalynn83

Teashalynn83

02/24/2021 at 12:12 AM

avatar Teashalynn83

Teashalynn83

Last activity on 08/08/2021 at 3:59 AM

Joined in 2021


3 comments posted | 1 in the Treatments for anxiety and other mental illnesses group


Rewards

  • Explorer


 View profileView  Add a friendAdd  Write

My current provider just got fired. I felt as though she wasn’t understanding and she just pushed different meds on me when Effexor and ability worked fine for my bipolar and anxiety. I also have adhd and we tried straterra and Wellbutrin. Neither helped. So I’m currently not taking anything for adhd at the moment and I’m on Effexor and vraylar. Which I still get manic with vraylar. She switched me because I told her I got manic but I forgot to take my meds a few days and then felt fine so didn’t take for a few more days and became manic. I scheduled an appt with another doctor and will see them this week. I’m hoping I get treatment for my adhd and I can stay of Effexor and get back on abilify. 

See the signature

Teasha


What do you think about your psychologist, psychiatrist, mental health provider? https://www.carenity.us/forum/other-discussions/depression-treatments-and-medicine/what-do-you-think-about-your-psychiatrist-counselor-mental-health-provider-812 2021-02-24 00:12:08

Give your opinion

Survey

What do you think about the Carenity Forum and community?

Survey

Help shape the future of Carenity!

Survey

Become a Carenity Ambassador – Help our community thrive!

Articles to discover...

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

09/24/2026 | News

The challenges of living with an illness as a family: impact, communication, and solutions

Caregiver burnout: When caring for someone else leaves no room for yourself

09/07/2026 | Advice

Caregiver burnout: When caring for someone else leaves no room for yourself

Why does physical activity have a positive effect on mental health?

08/29/2026 | News

Why does physical activity have a positive effect on mental health?

Weight gain without eating more: What's really going on?

08/22/2026 | News

Weight gain without eating more: What's really going on?

Cigarettes VS e-cigarettes: an update on the consumption and pitfalls to avoid

02/20/2019 | Advice

Cigarettes VS e-cigarettes: an update on the consumption and pitfalls to avoid

Telemedicine: Remote examinations and operations are here!

03/11/2019 | News

Telemedicine: Remote examinations and operations are here!

Chronic fatigue: patients' experiences and solutions

04/15/2019 | Advice

Chronic fatigue: patients' experiences and solutions

Love life in the face of illness: how to cope?

02/14/2019 | Advice

Love life in the face of illness: how to cope?

icon cross

Does this topic interest you?

Join the 500 000 patients registered on our platform, get information on your condition or on that of your family member, and discuss it with the community

Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now! Join now!

It’s free and confidential

Subscribe

You wish to be notified of new comments

 

You have been subscribed

Join now! Log in

About

  • About us
  • Why share your data?
  • The Carenity team
  • The ambassadors
  • Partner associations
  • Contributors
  • The Science and Ethics Committee
  • Our scientific publications
  • Our commitments
  • Certifications and awards
  • Carenity in the news
  • Editorial policy
  • Code of conduct
  • Legal notice
  • Terms of use
  • Cookie management
  • Contact
  • Carenity for professionals

Quick access

  • Health magazine
  • Search a forum
  • Learn about a condition
  • See medication reviews
  • List of forums (A-Z)
  • List of condition info sheets (A-Z)
  • List of medication fact sheets (A-Z)
  • Language flag fr flag en flag de flag es flag it

The www.carenity.us website does not constitute or replace professional medical advice.