https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/crohns-disease.jpg

Patients Crohn's disease

6 replies

Topic of the discussion

Member Carenity
Posted on

Has anyone experienced severe hair loss after their diagnosis? My hair is falling out in the shower and after I brush it, more than ever. It is becoming so thin and lifeless. It is very depressing for me as I am so young and my hair used to be a great feature of mine and made me confident. Not anymore. I feel like these diseases are just stripping me from everything that was once mine. I went to a dermatologist and they said it is basically from malnourishment and stress, so there’s really no treatment until I get my disease and stress under control. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Beginning of the discussion - 3/20/19

Hair Loss

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username‍ I experienced hair thinning and it would fall out as you say in the shower when I would wash my hair and run my fingers through it. I remember the hair being much mor excess on the floor and the sides of the shower.

I‍ started to notice it more when I began prednisone and probably made it worse because I was not really taking care of my self via diet... hardly was eating because I just felt like anything I WANTED to eat I couldn't and I just got tired of it and the pain and bowel issues.

I did start supplementing with collagen (I need to look for the brand in my cabinet if you would like it), vitamins, Biotin, vitamin D,  and fish oil.

Hair Loss
Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username sounds very similar to me... thank you for sharing. Whenever you get the chance, if you could give me the brand for the collagen :-) hope you are getting better

Hair Loss

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username How are you doing with your hair? I had hair loss also. I changed to a better shampoo that is paraben and allergens free. But I can't say it has helped at all. What I do think is helping is rubbing rosemary to my scalp.

Hair Loss
Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username‍  I went to the dermatologist and they said I have Telogen effluvium which is when a major life change (stress or in my case autoimmune diseases) causes the hair to go into a resting phase and the hair cycle stops only causing it to shed. Unfortunately the hair loss won’t stop until I get my disease under control and manage my stress/depression better. In the meantime I’m taking like a million vitamins, also switched to a very gentle shampoo and I just tried putting aloe Vera in my scalp. Nothing seems to help though. It’s been months and I’ve lost literally half my head of hair. 

Hair Loss

Member Carenity
Posted on

I have not experienced hair loss or hair thinning. I guess everyone is different. I am sorry that you are going through this @Hidden username‍ ... I couldn't help but look at your profile and notice that you have more than one condition - was your doctor specific as to the condition that was causing it?

I can see how depression and stress will affect everything too though. I hope you are able to get everything under control soon.

Hair Loss

Member Carenity
Posted on

@Hidden username I am so sorry for the delay in responding. I am happy that the doctor at least has given you a reason for your hair loss, so at least you have a knowledge of the why... have you tried the fish oil? Biotin? I know you said you are taking vitamins, but if you do research most multis do not come close too having enough Biotin. I take 500mcg a day.

Here is the link to the collagen. I bought mine from Vitamin Shoppe. It is calles Sports Research Collagen Peptides. https://www.amazon.com/Collagen-Peptides-Grass-Fed-Certified-Friendly/dp/B00XQ2XGAA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TC47SE4T2D9XRMK2B4WJ