Diabetes, Hypertension, and COPD - announcing my goal to help me succeed

https://www.carenity.us/static/themes-v3/default/images/us/header/copd.jpg

Patients COPD

Posted on

Its now been exactly two weeks, 14 days since starting the Nutrisystem Diet to work on the weight and eating habits. So happy to report that my weight is down 14 pounds and my blood sugar when measured before breakfast and before dinner tonight is NORMAL! Had my quarterly Dr. Visit yesterday and for the first time my Internist was happy, pleasant and encouraging. (Has been busting my chops for 10 years to lose weight.) Well not that I am retired, my wife is retired and we can support each other, this is working rather well. Getting used to a different way of eating is not that difficult (compared to quitting smoking) and the food is actually very tasty. Supplemented by other vegetables, fruit, proteins and carbs. We are actually saving money on the food budget. My Dr. had my blood tested again and I expect that my A1C level is back to normal or near normal. Once verified, I may get off at least one of the two Diabetes meds real soon. Next will be the blood pressure meds (currently taking three). Expect to eliminate two of those next quarterly visit to the Dr. As for the COPD, still status quo. Have two inhaler meds taken daily and the rescue inhaler when needed. Sleep with O2 every night. The O2 still drops below 90 if I don't use the generator. If/when I overexert myself during the day with any strenuous activities, the O2 drops down to about 80, so I limit my activity. While at the Dr. yesterday I peeked at my chart, the page documenting my first visit after the lung collapsed and I came out of the hospital 12 years ago. My weight then was 212 pounds, two weeks ago it was 290, and now its 276. My goal is back to 200 pounds with the this Nutrisystem lifestyle eating change. Knowing that quitting smoking was the most difficult lifestyle change ever, and when asked by friends how to do it, my advise was do it now, do it cold turkey and you will not have my regrets of not stopping sooner like me. So now I have the same message for those who are overweight with Type II Diabetes. Change your eating habits now, learn to eat better and healthier now. Don't regret later what you could have done now. I know that I can do this, since I beat tobacco. You can too!   Thank you for listening.

Regarding your question on my plans to attack COPD, stay tuned.  Once I am through this with the Diabetes, Hypertension and Weight Loss, attacking the COPD  is next.

Posted on

@Gordon‍  Hope all is well! I am glad to see that you have had success with starting the Nutrisystem Diet and changing eating habits and working toward your goals! I know it has been almost a year since your last post, so hoping to see of any update to your story!

Posted on

@Gordon‍ amazing! Very happy to see how much this life change has done for you! I am looking forward to your next update! Your story has inspired me to push harder and stick change for the better in my diet, activity, and social life.