How to set boundaries with friends?

/static/themes-v3/default/images/default/home/bg-generic.jpg?1516194360

Patients Postpartum depression

4 replies

Topic of the discussion

Posted on

I have been Facebook chatting with a fellow I went to high school with.  We are friends on Facebook.   He likes chatting with me - because we are the same age.  He shares with me that I'm  easy to communicate with.

Some of our latest chats have become personal in nature.   At some point, that is ok - and sometimes those chats are not needed.   I believe  he shares things with me - so he can see my reaction in the chats.

I have a times told him that I am not interested in chatting about a certain topic - he asks he why - and I tell him that it's really none of his business.

I like chatting with him most of the time.

Here is my dilemma - do I need to stop chatting with him or remind him of certain things I don't want to discuss??   

Thanks -

Oliva P Riley

Beginning of the discussion - 8/30/21

• Community manager
Posted on

Hi @Riley123‍, thank you for opening this discussion. Setting firm boundaries with people is important, but can also be hard. Let me tag some other members who can possibly share their thoughts with you on this.

Hi everyone, how are you doing today? What do you think? How do you set boundaries with friends and loved ones? What would you do in Riley123's shoes?
@Mcastro26@anthol43@Sbell02@Dark-angell1@SabineX@CallieMae@Alysha1988@Danni1@Schryst@Luckylu39@Emma-Z.@Eatingfrostedflakes@BensNN@autumnburn311@lcwalker@Lostsoul17@K2cshanni@Leelee‍ 

Feel free to share your thoughts!

Take care,
Courtney

Posted on

@Riley123 You reaffirm your stance and if he can't respect that, then you can choose if he is in your life. It's entirely up to you.

Posted on

I agree. I think firm boundaries are needed. You must communicate with him what you are willing to share and what you are not willing to share and if he cannot respect your boundaries then it is your choice to have him in your life or not. If it were me and someone was crossing a line all the time, this would not be someone I’d want to continue communicating with. 

Posted on

@Eatingfrostedflakes thanks for this response.  I appreciate it

Most commented discussions